General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it True?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Is it True?

I had an Independent Harley mechanic tell me that he has never bought a new Harley since the 1984 evo because all the engine parts are Japanese? Made by Kawasaki? I know that allot of after market HD chrome is made in Taiwan but the engine parts?[:@]

Old 11-10-2006, 07:55 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Is it True?

He's been smoking to much waky tabaky. LOL Harley does out source some of their parts but not from any other bike company, the pistons are and have been for awhile made by Bosch in germany, front forks and rear shocks from Showa in japan, speakers are made in China, carbs were from japan too but for the most part their parts are made in their own plants here in the U.S. But I think they also have a plant in japan.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:57 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess that's why the newer bikes are more reliable & I could care less where specific parts are made! It's a increasingly global economy, thanks to our politicians.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Harry Manback
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO, it is most definitely not true...

This is yet another urban myth surrounding HD

According to the book How to "Buy American" by Wayne T. Price Second Edition Harley Davidson motorcycles are listed as 95% American Made.

The AFL-CIO, The Union Label and Service Trades Department lists Harley Davidson as an American Union Made Product. This means that it is a predominately American Manufactured product, not an American Assembled Product.

Even the New York times agrees...
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/04/bu...pagewanted=all

Each bike proudly bears the PACE and Machinists Union label on its frame. Harley Davidsons are manufactured by union workers in York, PA, Milwaukee, WI and Kansas City, MO. HD has agreements with their Unions that are unique among American companies. The Unions actually have to agree on decisions concerning parts and locations of manufacture. One of the most recent decisions surround the manufacture of the gearing on the 2007 transmission, HD proposed that it be manufactured by a German company, but the Union did not want this to happen, so the gearing in the newest six speed transmission is made right in the York plant.

It is tru that some parts are either no longer allowed to be manufactured in the USA (Batteries and other items that use costic materials) or that it is just impossible to get made here because of costs etc. The motors are forged and assembled in the USA.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:54 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you are at the dealer shopping for chrome check how many packages state.. "Made in China".

Old 11-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

YES they do, actually TIWAN, BUT, they are shrink wrapped in a Harley Davidson cardboard.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:10 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunrunner
But I think they also have a plant in japan.
An HD plant in Japan?What do they mfg.?

Don't forget about the MADE IN CHINA motor mounts!

Old 11-10-2006, 09:23 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

There are several manufacturers in my area that do business with HD . I've worked at a couple of them over the years.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:46 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

An HD plant in Japan?What do they mfg.?
Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis and Kawasakis.............Metric Cruisers....LOL

Old 11-10-2006, 11:08 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Harry Manback Date 11/10/2006 5:08:12 PM
NO, it is most definitely not true...

This is yet another urban myth surrounding HD

According to the book How to "Buy American" by Wayne T. Price Second Edition Harley Davidson motorcycles are listed as 95% American Made.

The AFL-CIO, The Union Label and Service Trades Department lists Harley Davidson as an American Union Made Product. This means that it is a predominately American Manufactured product, not an American Assembled Product.

Even the New York times agrees...
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/04/bu...pagewanted=all
GREAT ARTICLE!!! I read it through and found it most enlightening. I recommend it to anyone concerned about American production.

Quick Reply: Is it True?