General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle safety avoiding obstacles what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:00 PM
JohnTM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle safety avoiding obstacles what would you do?

What would you do in the following scenarios:

1. You see a deer standing in the road. Swerve one way anticipating he will run forward or swerve the other way anticipating he will turn around and run back from where he came from. (I assume deer do not walk or run in reverse?)
2. A cager pulls out at an intersection in front of you. Anticipate he will see you at the last minute and stop meaning you swerve to his front or anticipate he will not see you and swerve to to the rear of his car.
3. If you see a cager when stopped coming up behind you knowing you will be rear ended (slow speed obviously) just allow yourself to be hit or risk accelerating into cross traffic and swerving to avoid other caters by swerving?
4. On a two lane road a cager swerves into your lane and will hit you head on. Would you swerve to the right into the woods or guard rail, etc. Or would you swerve into his lane that is now vacant BUT he may "wake-up" and return to his own lane, making you hit him hear on in his lane?

I do realize there would be many other factors to consider such as breaking, speed, surface condition, other traffic, etc. So just in general terms what would you do.
Thank you.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JohnTM
What would you do in the following scenarios:

1. You see a deer standing in the road. Swerve one way anticipating he will run forward or swerve the other way anticipating he will turn around and run back from where he came from. (I assume deer do not walk or run in reverse?)
2. A cager pulls out at an intersection in front of you. Anticipate he will see you at the last minute and stop meaning you swerve to his front or anticipate he will not see you and swerve to to the rear of his car.
3. If you see a cager when stopped coming up behind you knowing you will be rear ended (slow speed obviously) just allow yourself to be hit or risk accelerating into cross traffic and swerving to avoid other caters by swerving?
4. On a two lane road a cager swerves into your lane and will hit you head on. Would you swerve to the right into the woods or guard rail, etc. Or would you swerve into his lane that is now vacant BUT he may "wake-up" and return to his own lane, making you hit him hear on in his lane?

I do realize there would be many other factors to consider such as breaking, speed, surface condition, other traffic, etc. So just in general terms what would you do.
Thank you.
1) Too many factors the deer could do. Hit brakes, keep straight, blow horn. My experience with deer and cars .... You can't avoid them because you don't know what they will do next. Keep straight is your best chance of survival. 1 Bud kept straight hit deer cut deer in half didn't wreck bike was messed up. 2nd buddy did the same but part of the deer got under his fender and wrecked him. Deer was cut in half. 3) guy I know about dodged deer and missed the deer but died when he hit a tree.

2) I always TRY to have an way out. He pulls out if I can I will HIT breaks and go towards the back of him or I will take to the grass on the side of the road IF a wreck is going to happen period. I will never lay the bike down. I will take what ever place I can to avoid the most body injury to me at the time considering the unknown speed I am going. Grass doesn't hurt as bad as automobile.

3) I had this happen before. First time I took to the grass on the side of the road. 2nd I was in the city and took to the side walk. I try not always but try to always watch my back in traffic.

4) Normally when this happens you die from what I have seen and heard about if he is completely in your lane because there is no time for you to react. I personally do not know any survivors of driver last min. completely in your lane and no where to go. The times I had someone mostly in my lane and I had time to react I ..... swerved to avoid on my white line of the highway. One time I took to the grass and amazingly didn't wreck. Normally you wreck when you hit grass at speeds of 55 MPH. Wrecking on Grass feels better than wrecking on asphalt or by hitting a truck.

Each time is always different. We know what we did and hope we know what we would do. Each time the situation is different far as speed, road conditions, environment, and timing of reactions so who knows what I will do next time. Lets hope God continues to look out for us.

Last edited by csbreeze; 07-23-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:23 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

1] start slowing down, get ready to stop they rarely travel alone. 2] tap the horn and wave him on. He can't hit you if he went before you. 3] hit your brakes to flash your brake light. If it looks like he didn't see that, pull out of the way the best way you can. let your instinct be our guide. 4] I would hit the horn and the high beams. I would never swerve in to his lane as he might have fallin asleep, and might swerve back to his side of the road, and hit you. One thing I have learned in 38 years of riding is to expect everyone to do the wrong thing. So if your expecting it , you'll be ready to handle it. There's no sense in getting mad a driver that pulls a idiotic move in front of you, you'd be the maddest guy on the planet.,,

Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

John not to be a smartass here but what would you do if you were in a cage?? Just try to be more aware of your surroundings. You can think for any of these the people or the deer!
I had a cage pull out in front of me 3 years ago, i had nowhere to go T-boned him. The flight 20 feet in the air over him was great but the landing hurt like hell, its amazing what you can think about while flying through the air!!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,397 Likes on 960 Posts

stop. put jiffy stand down. pull out your pistol and shoot em all. let god sort em out.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:46 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

when the wife finally decided to ride with me I went thru these scenarios all the time. she'd say what are you doing? I'd say practicing for the unexpected!!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:56 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by big cahuna
1] One thing I have learned in 38 years of riding is to expect everyone to do the wrong thing. So if your expecting it , you'll be ready to handle it. There's no sense in getting mad a driver that pulls a idiotic move in front of you, you'd be the maddest guy on the planet.,,
The above are very wise words. That covered all the topics very well.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You forgot to ask about what to do when you're at an intersection and you see a meteor the size of Arizona coming towards you. What would you do?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
You forgot to ask about what to do when you're at an intersection and you see a meteor the size of Arizona coming towards you. What would you do?
Soil my pants

Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think scenarios all you want. Nothing matters until the situation presents itself. It's how quick you think in that split second that will save you or not.
I believe that accelerating with a controlled swerve would be better than slamming on your breaks. But again, that all depends on many factors.
I also believe that you must not ride in fear. Fear will take you down.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle safety avoiding obstacles what would you do?