General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of Oakley Wind Jacket MC Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Review of Oakley Wind Jacket MC Sunglasses

Ever since I got my bike 3 years ago, I have been on a journey to find the perfect pair of sunglasses. This has proved quite challenging for me because (1) I wear contact lenses, and (2) I apparently have an oddly shapped face (LoL, never knew that!). Because I wear contact lenses, I need a good seal around my eyes to block out the wind. Otherwise my eyes quickly get dry and it gets difficult to see clearly. I have tried many many pairs of riding glasses over the last few years. Everything from the el cheapo's at the MC shops, HD branded glasses, Maxx, Wiley X, 7Eye, and everthing that is on display at the Long Beach International MC Show. About a year ago, I finally settled on the 7Eey Bora glasses. They had the photochromic lenses (day/night). The foam facial cavity on the Bora's fit my face very well, which likely explains the $200 price tag. While I like these glasses overall, I did have a few grips about them: the lenses was that the lenses didn't get dark enough during bright daylight, the arms were a little uncomfortable behind my ears, and oddly enough the glasses did not fit my face when the foam facial cavity was removed (so they were useless as an everyday sunglass). Anyway, some scumbag with sticky fingers apparently went into my saddlebags a few months ago while I was at work and walked away with my 7Eye's (and my favorite gloves of course). So once again I was on the hunt for a new pair of riding glasses.

I had heard about Oakley coming out with a pair of MC riding glasses, and I finally found a shop that had just gotten them in. They are called the Wind Jackets. I tried them on and they fit perfect! Playing along with the story of my life, these suckers had a price tag of $220 on them! One swipe of the debit card later, they were mine. Now I never really give product reviews online, but I feel so strongly about these glasses that I felt the need to let others know about them.

Here are my personal highlights of these sunglasses:
  • The rubber facial cavity fits my face extremely well. It does a great job at blocking out the wind from my eyes. It seals virtually everywhere for me. No dry eyes.
  • This is basically a pair of Oakley Split Jackets. In fact, it IS a pair of Split Jackets, as is inscribed on the inside of the arms. The difference here is that the "Wind Jacket" package includes the rubber facial cavity, head strap, and 2 sets of lenses (Warm Grey and clear). My point here is that these are also excellent everyday sunglasses. Just remove the rubber seal (which is easy), and you have a very nice pair of daily sunglasses. And unlike the 7Eye's that I had before, these actually fit my face well without the facial cavity as well. They look and perform well both on and off the bike.
  • The "Switchlock" feature makes it quite easy to change out the lenses for night time riding. Other glasses that I've tried were very difficult to remove lenses, requiring you to manipulate and bend the frame. But with these glasses, you simply lift up on the nose pad and then the entire bottom half of the frame swings down. You effortlessly remove the lens and replace it with the other. Super easy. I believe that the Oakley Jawbone has the same feature.
  • Oakley makes a plethora of lenses available for this frame. Right now I only have the Warm Gray and clear lenses, and both seem to fit the bill well. I do, however, want to see if they offer a polarized lens (for driving).
Overall I am very pleased with the purchase inspite of the high price tag. I think I would be hard-pressed to find a better pair of riding glasses for my needs.

Link to Oakley Wind Jackets http://www.oakley.com/products/6667/24876

Here are some of my pics:

Old 07-23-2011, 01:53 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

nice review thank you
carl

Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Great review! I'll have to find a place that carries them and check them out.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 PM
scheng32
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are nice looking glasses. Wiley-X make a good set of riding goggles and look alike these. I do pefer Oakley, may need to check these out

Old 07-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Saltwaterwop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look great, I'll have to take a look at them.
I swear by Oakley glasses.. Long lasting Solid lenses and frames..

My Oakley Juliets do a fair job of blocking the wind but some still gets through at higher speeds drying out my eyes a bit.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review, thanks. I'm really feeling the matte black ones. I'll have to see if the wife needs any birthday gift ideas!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Thanks for your review. I also wear contacts and apparently have a narrow face as every pair of riding glasses I have tried have let wind come in around my temples and dry my eyes. I keep saline in my tool bag on the bike so I can flush/hydrate my eyes and contacts when I get fuel, take a break etc... $220 seems a bit pricey, but I am sure with all the glasses I have tried I exceeded that already so I will be looking for some of these to try.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:21 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

I've been searching around for some new sunglasses myself. Currently, I have a pair that I picked up at the local gun shop for $20 and seems to work pretty well. My eyes don't tear up and it's polarized so I don't get any glare.

On occasion little debris get through and get in the eyes but nothing a couple of blinks won't fix and I've been on all day rides and my eyes don't dry out even with contacts.

I think I came to a conclusion that I'll go with the cheapos for now as if I were to lose them or have something shatter them, it wouldn't be as devastating as losing a pair of really expensive glasses.

A piece of plastic broke off on the edge the other day but nothing Gorilla glue can't handle . I'm all about adding "ghetto fabulous" to the Harley "image"

YMMV

Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 AM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love them but did not fit right with the helmet. The transition lenses are sweet too for both day and night. Oh well I am still on the journey for my perfect bike sunglasses.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 AM
11FXS
Tourer

Wow...awesome review.... going to have to find me a pair of these.

Quick Reply: Review of Oakley Wind Jacket MC Sunglasses