General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Dealers now and back when

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

I can't speak first hand, but my Dad told me when he bought his 78 FLH they wouldn't even let him sit on the bike till he should them some cash. Forget about a test ride. This was the Dealership in Washington PA. Steel City Harley. Not sure if the same people still own it as I haven't lived in PA in about 23 years.

I think I'll keep the set up now.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I miss my old home town dealer. I knew the people there and they all rode. Now I have to go to a 42,000 sq ft palace. The have a cafe, a greeter, a lot clothing and chrome, and if you bike is over 10 years old they really don't want to talk to you.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:11 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I remember in the mid 70's the home town dealer had 2-3 bikes and the place resembled an old clubhouse.

~Joe

Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 PM
lewintennessee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a sign of the changing times now plug it into a computer yesterday take it down and see what is wrong. I never liked either one they charge way to much for labor now and back in the 70's.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:52 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just wondering why most new dealerships have some skanky lookin' road Ho that looks like she fell face first into a tackle box and more tat's than a merchant marine greeting at the door? Looking at all the others there, she is usually the most charming one in the boutique.....after you get the visual of that out of your mind and hoping it didnt burn into your retinas like an atomic bomb blast the parts counter is usually the way it used to be with the stools and parts catalogs and folks hanging out shooting the bull.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:23 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Throwback To The 60's

Originally Posted by skulltrainharley
I think your getting confused ..... the only bikes i saw mark their spot as you call it were in British motorcycle dealers ... have never seen one bike with oil under it in a Harley dealer also dont care about the looks as long as i get the bike i want and the customer service to go with it! .....
If you were around/riding back in the 60's, the joke was the cardboard under the Harley soaking up the oil as it leaked. My father had a Suzuki / BSA / Rabbit dealership back then. Suzukis' were the light weights (250CC Hustler - fastest production bike in the world at the time), BSA's were his heavy weights and Rabbits were the answer at the time to the Vespa.

He** yeah I miss those times. Gotta admit, at the time I was looking forward to picking up an old Indian. There weren't a whole lot of them around, but I always knew that some day! Well, that day never came and I ended up here with my Road King. Harley has seen itself through a lot of tough times. I would hope that more than a legacy would be left behind.

Those days were fun, more laid back and definately less stressful. Do I miss them - DEFINATELY! Would I want to go back to them - NOT A CHANCE!

Old 07-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,940 Likes on 19,379 Posts

Originally Posted by skulltrainharley
I think your getting confused ..... the only bikes i saw mark their spot as you call it were in British motorcycle dealers ... have never seen one bike with oil under it in a Harley dealer also dont care about the looks as long as i get the bike i want and the customer service to go with it! .....
I don't know Skulltrainharley ... maybe not in your neck of the woods ... but I can remember going into Robinson HD ( the Original Harley dealer in Detroit at the John C Lodge Expressway and Grand River Ave ) back in the late 60's and early 70's and damn near every scooter ( granted there weren't many in the show room ) there had a "drip pan" under it. Harleys "marking their spot" was just par for the course back in the day. In fact is was a big deal if you had one that didn't leak.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,824 Likes on 3,175 Posts

If you had one that didn't leak it was time to add oil.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,940 Likes on 19,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
If you had one that didn't leak it was time to add oil.
+1 ... Well put Stiggy !!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Back Not So Long Ago

It wasn't all that long ago, that I would walk through the wide open garage door of the one mechanic shop of Wilkins Harley Davidson, and into the showroom, housed in an added on garage behind the Wilkens home in South Barre VT. Harry, the owner would great you, and he knew his customers. He would either offer you a coffee, or a nip from the well worn flask he kept in his upper left pocket. It didn't matter whether it was spring, summer, fall, or winter Harry always had on his trademark knit winter hat. If it was morning, you could hear the squeek of the houses back screen door, as Barb his wife would come into the shop from the house with all kinds of breakfast goodies. If it were closer to lunch, it would be a plate of tuna, egg and ham salad sandwiches which she prepared. The entire operation consisted of Bob the mechanic, Harry, Barbra and their son Alan. Wilkins Harley Davidson, like most others was forced to upgrade or give up the franchise. These days Harry and Alan have both passed, but Barbra, her Daughter Ann and her grandson still manage the helm of Wilkins Harley. Many including Barbra herself miss the informality of the old shop!
http://www.wilkinsharley.com/ Read the History on the web page for a little nostalgia. Its a good read!

Last edited by Rickr01; 07-23-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Harley Dealers now and back when