General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Dealers now and back when

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 AM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda drawn between the two, the old shops had that good old days appeal, as mentioned before they stocked parts over clothes. Leather highway jackets, chaps, helmets, and some T-shirts made up the clothing section, now my local dealership's second floor looks like Macy's-Davidson, instead of Harley-Davidson.....

It also seemed like the old dealers knew their **** about bikes more than they do today, you walked in with a part in hand, or a problem, and they knew exactly what you needed, and they had it there. Now days they have to look everything up in their books, and order the part, or try and talk you into making an appointment with their service dept......

Now days the showroom smells of potpourri, I prefer the old smell of motor oil, exhaust fumes and cigarette smoke....(and I'm an ex-smoker)....There seemed to be a higher level of trust when dealing with a blue collar dude with long hair and a full beard, then with some G.Q. looking yuppie sporting the latest H-D fashionable shirt and pressed khaki pants.....

With all that said, on the flip side, I'm far more comfortable bringing my wife into the dealer now, I can shop for parts and accessories on the first floor while she browses the latest riding fashions on the second floor. In the old days there was nothing there to occupie her time, and it wasn't unlikely that someone in the old shop would request she expose her chest, making for a somewhat awkward and uncomfortable moment.....

There is and was good and bad with both, we gotta take what we got and work with it......

Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

The old Dudley Perkins shop on Paige Street in San Francisco pretty much wrote the book on Harley dealers for me. It was the best, coolest most awesome dealership I ever went to.

I bought a tank for my '64 XLCH -- cost $75 and another 30 to paint it two-tone like a wooden match tip. San Francisco was always the 81 crew's turf but the Sons of Hawaii were just up the street and some Jokers usually showed up at some point. On most days there was about 25 bikes parked out front, including some great Pan and Shovel choppers. Dressers were for dummies back then. And they always had a handful of used cop bikes for sale cheap. I miss that era...

Last edited by bjewell; 07-23-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
No, a few years ago the state moved RT 1@9 around. They bought deals n wheels property, and made a U turn where the building used to be. I asked Leo if he was moving the shop and he said he was maybe going to retire. Haven't heard anything else about them.,, Heres's some cool pics of the store from the early '60's. http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=35318
Thanks! very cool pics!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:01 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I remember going in to the old dealership in Springfield with my uncle. Cake pans under every bike to catch the oil....place smelled like an old garage. Would stand there and stare at the shiny bikes. The thing I remember most is the topless calendar by the door to the service area. You sure as hell couldn't get away with that nowdays

Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I like EVERYTHING the way it was. I hate the way just about everything IS nowadays.
Yeah, I don't fit in this century all that well myself .

Old 07-23-2011, 09:32 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I grew up in West Virginia and in early 1973 ordered an Ironhead Sportster from a very small HD dealership........one mechanic and the owner. The shop had parts, but only 2-3 new bikes on the floor at any given time. However, if they weren't busy, whenever I stopped by the shop the mechanic would update me on any issues he ran into with the model year Sportster I had and how to fix it. Imagine that! Also, if it was near close of business, the owner would pull out some beers and we would sit around, have a beer, and talk about our love of motorcycles.

Now, I enjoy the new dealerships but wish they would carry more parts and less clothing.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I miss the aura of old time dealerships as well.

Last edited by Wide_Open; 07-23-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:18 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even in the darkest of the AMF years, Harley dealers didn't have unsold bikes from one year to the next. Also, in those days and a good portion of the waiting list days, a dealer wouldn't sell a bike to someone they didn't like the look of or to someone out of the area.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfGuitar141
I'm kinda drawn between the two, the old shops had that good old days appeal, as mentioned before they stocked parts over clothes. Leather highway jackets, chaps, helmets, and some T-shirts made up the clothing section, now my local dealership's second floor looks like Macy's-Davidson, instead of Harley-Davidson.....

With all that said, on the flip side, I'm far more comfortable bringing my wife into the dealer now, I can shop for parts and accessories on the first floor while she browses the latest riding fashions on the second floor. In the old days there was nothing there to occupie her time, and it wasn't unlikely that someone in the old shop would request she expose her chest, making for a somewhat awkward and uncomfortable moment.....
Macy's Davidson - that's awesome!

What's wrong with someone asking your wife to expose her chest? Man what's this world coming to these days?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

macys davidson

Quick Reply: Harley Dealers now and back when