General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback????

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been reading about the Switchback in several different threads.
One thing I have yet to see anyone bring up is the fact the Fuel tank is smaller.
Fuel capacity is only 4.7 Gallons. And now with the EFI, there is not a Reserve, just a Low Fuel Light.
The Touring models have a 6 Gallon Fuel tank.
Looks like this is not a long distance touring bike. Just another Bar Hopper.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 PM
88xlh1200
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT
I like the look of it, but the price is too high and too close to a Road King (only $1500 more). I think most folks looking for this type of bike would spend the extra money and get the real thing.
The Heritage and Deluxe both cost almost the same as a RK, so especially the Heritage buyers should step up to the "real thing" and the Deluxe owners must really be getting screwed because they don't have a windshield or bags? Or maybe the buyers just like their Heritage and Deluxe models.

The Switchback is also only about 1150 more than a Wide Glide. I think the point is that the Switchback is for people that want to be able to easily put their bike back to a more "normal" motorcycle. Not everyone wants a touring chassis and the added weight, especially if they can only afford one bike.

Look closely at early 60's FL's. With the exception of the tall seats and kickers etc. on the old iron, the new FLD looks quite a bit like the "real thing" as they used to be. I bet within a year we'll be seeing a lot of nostalgia type parts available for the new bike.

Also, judging by the amount of interest on the forums, the bike is at least generating a lot of interest and most appears to be positive. My feeling is a lot of the negative comments are coming from the touring class riders. I like the Road Kings and Road Glides, I just do not want to own one (at least for the foreseeable future).

I guess this is just my long winded way of saying different people prefer different bikes for whatever the reason may be, and don't need to "step up" to be happy with their own ride.

J

Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bike has its nitch. I agree it is too close to the RK but also think it looks better than the RK with the bags off.

Just my .02. And yes it looks like a Cross Roads cause it like that bike too.

fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with my short legs the road king is not for me, I cant flat foot the new ones since they did the frame change and the ones before 09 even lowerd were a little touchy for me, so I have a heritage but dont really like the counterbalanced engine, so I will look at this and if it "fits" may be my new bike.
I dont do any long range riding at this time because I dont have that kind of time with my work, and the wifes work schedule and 3 kids, so it looks like it would be a fun bike to ride for the kind of ridding I do at the moment.

perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,450 Likes on 2,040 Posts

A lot of touring was done on 3 1/2 gallon dressers in the past, and the Swithback is only 3/10's of a gallon less than an Ultra had in 07'. Are all dressers over 4 years old just bar hoppers?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:30 PM
88xlh1200
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
A lot of touring was done on 3 1/2 gallon dressers in the past, and the Swithback is only 3/10's of a gallon less than an Ultra had in 07'. Are all dressers over 4 years old just bar hoppers?
Exactly, as in the Duo-Glides of 58-64. I may not have the year right, but I think the 5 gallon tank didn't come out until the 65's. And that looks like yet another nay from a touring rider right before my last post.

J

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarfinder
I saw one before I got another road king, kinda cool, if you a city messenger or something.
Just thought the bags were too small, kinda unfinished looking, I thought it's cool its different but it's missing something
They just hit the dealers today. Did you buy your RK today? The FLD's didn't hit dealers until today.

City messenger???

Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 88xlh1200
Exactly, as in the Duo-Glides of 58-64. I may not have the year right, but I think the 5 gallon tank didn't come out until the 65's. And that looks like yet another nay from a touring rider right before my last post.

J
Yep, he's a troll posting the same thing on all the Switchback threads.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sm0kediver
They just hit the dealers today. Did you buy your RK today? The FLD's didn't hit dealers until today.

City messenger???
I caught that too, but I just ignored it.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i really like it.. a lot in fact/.....

i wonder how hard, or how long it will take to put regular touring bags on it....

but it wont be too long before big bags and a batwing are mounted to one....

i agree.. the price may e a bit high... but i really like it and want to see one...

I love the touring front and rear fenders....
the wheels are awesome....

dangit..... may have to go look.....

Quick Reply: Switchback????