General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportiest Harley with ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:14 AM
joek
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportiest Harley with ABS?

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Harley but I want something that has ABS, and is good both in curves and highway. I do not intend on taking super long trips but I could see going up to 300 miles per day for a few days. Most of the time it would be day riding, maybe 200 miles. I was thinking Road King, but I see the new Switchback as maybe a lighter altenative that perhaps would take the twisties better. Thoughts on that bike? I might change the wheels on that one though (not sure if that is a very expensive proposition). Softails are an option, but I'm thinking maybe they're too low (I'm 6 feet tall). Also wondering if the more raked Dyna's would lead to some instability in the curves?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

joek; I wouldn't let "ABS" judge which bike you prefer...better to fit yourself to the ride & go w/it. This feature was introduced fairly recently, but many riders still prefer non-ABS too. 2-wheelers stop fairly quick, with proper braking, so ABS isn't mandatory & actually I elected to not choose because I didn't want added weight, cost & (sometimes) headaches of the system on my bike. Have driven both types & didn't really feel much difference w/stopping (been dual braking street bikes since MSF in 1988). Test ride a few & choose the one you like the most for features, comfort & budget. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by joek
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Harley but I want something that has ABS, and is good both in curves and highway.
........ Road Glide Custom

Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the Switchback is brand new, the jury isn't out on how it handles or behaves, especially using that FL style front end. It probably will be easier to get over than the RK, but for $1500 difference, I'd take the RK every time.

And ABS is overrated unless you are brake masher.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 AM
HD1044
Cruiser

joek - I am in the same position as you and actually about the same size. ABS is a priority for me too and in fact ABS has been out on bikes for many years. Harley just was late getting there versus say BMW but are ahead of most or all Jap bike crusiers. I love the look of the Dyna and was waiting for the 12's to see if they had the ABS option which they do. My riding is also like yours, back roads, mountains roads here in Arkansas but don't do a lot of long road trips. I am looking that the Dyna Custom and also considering a Road King. The RK seems like a great all around bike. And lets face it, if you are buying a Harley you are not going to go out and bust the twisties anyway unless maybe on a sportster. But I am 52 and not a twisty carver. If I want to ride hard I will take my dirt bike to the woods. Not to turn this in to an ABS depate thread but there is no way bikes without ABS can stop like a bike with ABS no matter how much experience the rider has. I won't even consider a bike without ABS. Just my $.02 for what its worth. Good luck in the search.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:45 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by joek
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Harley but I want something that has ABS, and is good both in curves and highway. I do not intend on taking super long trips but I could see going up to 300 miles per day for a few days. Most of the time it would be day riding, maybe 200 miles. I was thinking Road King, but I see the new Switchback as maybe a lighter altenative that perhaps would take the twisties better. Thoughts on that bike? I might change the wheels on that one though (not sure if that is a very expensive proposition). Softails are an option, but I'm thinking maybe they're too low (I'm 6 feet tall). Also wondering if the more raked Dyna's would lead to some instability in the curves?
Sportiest with ABS? Simple - VRSC.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a common belief that the Dynas are better handling than the Touring bikes. Just not true.

The Dynas are *lighter* which makes them quicker off the line and *feel* more "flickable," but the Touring bikes like the Road King have better lean angles and less rake (as you point out), which means better turn initiation. Look at some of those YouTube vids of how motor cops throw those things around. Top speed for both bikes will be about the same, or close enough--you can get speeding tickets on either The Touring bikes are exceptionally well balanced. Once you get used to them, you'll find them to be nimble as all hell. But they are heavier and therefore not quite as quick off the line as a Dyna. In the twisties, I'd take a Road King over a Dyna any day of the week.

So, is a Road King sportier than a Switchback? I guess that depends on your definition of "sporty."

Last edited by faber; 07-22-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

08 and up Police RK..........just sayin'

Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 AM
TheSinistral
Tourer

You might fall in love with the Road Glide Custom... I did.

-Sin'

Old 07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 772 Posts

My Street Bob came standard with the poor man's ABS- weak front brakes.