General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a bike that has money oweing to Harley davidson

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 AM
TNT69
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a bike that has money oweing to Harley davidson

I am purchaseing a Used Harley from Mississipi in the U.S ,but was told by the seller that he owed money to Harley Davidson and cant give me a clear title until i pay for the bike.He said that he would then transfer the title over to me once he has paid out Harley Davidson.
Am i takeing a big risk in buying this bike?,and isnt this illegal in the U.S

Old 07-22-2011, 04:43 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by TNT69
I am purchaseing a Used Harley from Mississipi in the U.S ,but was told by the seller that he owed money to Harley Davidson and cant give me a clear title until i pay for the bike.He said that he would then transfer the title over to me once he has paid out Harley Davidson.
This is common. Anyone with a remaining loan will have a lien on their title. You can have a Harley dealership do the transfer for a fee. You could make a cashiers check out to Harley for the payoff. I have never done this, so you might want to do a search, I've read about similar situations before.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:51 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, have your bank or HD facilitate the transaction. I wouldn't just rely on the seller to fwd the title to you.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:52 AM
martin14
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible he bought the bike with financing, so the moco would have a lien on it.

Since you are in Oz, get a dealer involved with the transfer.
Otherwise, you may be asking for trouble.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:15 AM
TNT69
Novice

Yeah i will contact seller for more information,i think he has financed the bike through Harley Davidson as it is an 09 model
Thanks thats all good advise

Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 AM
eleft
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i will contact seller for more information,i think he has financed the bike through Harley Davidson as it is an 09 model
Thanks thats all good advise
I have done it, the dealer must be involved to make arrangements with HD finance. When HD is paid the title was released and signed over to me along with a bill of sale from the original buyer.

When both the seller and I put the bank checks in registered mail to HD finance the seller put the bike in my garage and took his license plate. The Title came within a week.
The selling price was less than owed, the dealer recommended the price.
Any service contract can be transferred to you at a small fee.

Best of luck to you on your purchase,
Al

Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,196 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Go to your local HD stealership and talk to the business/finance guy...ask him about their "Dealer Assist" program. Tell him about this situation and this bike.

You apply for the Harley finance loan, get approved.
You give the dealership the info on the person selling the bike.

The dealership will handle all the payoff stuff, title transfer and proper paperwork, they will go pickup the bike for you (varying small fee for this..like a hundred or a couple of hundred bucks depending on distance)..secure it and the paperwork, bring it back to the dealership....optionally give it a tuneup/checkup for you, and then complete the paperwork making it yours.

Basically, they do all the legwork for you. Nice 'n easy 'n all properly done. Makes it easy for you....you just go to your dealer and pickup the bike when it's ready just like you bought it from them. Or have them drop it off to your house.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:52 AM
kevmiami
Tourer

Be very careful about driving away a bike without title. Good news I was in this situation when I bought my bike. I shopped around HD had best financing rate. Its called the sellors assist program; fee is $329 & they do all the paper work!!!! Worked great; make sure you have insurance ready to go - they will need VIN & milage - enjoy the new bike !!! Cheers, kevin

Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,944 Likes on 832 Posts

Yep, agree with "Stonecat". My son bought his used Deluxe this way. Best method to use IMO; protects both you and the seller.

Last edited by hdgzr; 07-22-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:01 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Can you trust the seller?

Quick Reply: Buying a bike that has money oweing to Harley davidson