General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly is a "stage 1 upgrade"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:16 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A stage 1 upgrade improves the way your motor breathes. As mentioned, it includes a less restrictive air intake and exhaust, and a tune to match. It will give your bike about a 15% increase in power and will lower operating temps by a good 20°. I personally think it's a MUST for any new Harley because thanks to EPA regulations these bikes are coming from the factory running really lean and hot!

Old 02-24-2015, 02:25 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,166 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat
Ok so if I go with new pipes VH or cobra and I have stage#1 I should be ok???
You'll have part of a stage 1....doing anything for the intake too? That's the other part.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What stage is it for those who stick a long metal broom handle up their OEM pipes and hit it with a sledge hammer to knock the washers out? 1 Quarter Stage?

Last edited by Thumper09; 02-26-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
Here's the way I understand it. Stage 1 consists of:
1) larger air intake/filter
2) upgraded exhaust.
3) fuel management system

The better filter lets more air into the engine, the better exhaust allows the air you just let in back out.
The computer chip or download let's the engine know what is going on and allows it to run more efficient, generally cooler with a bit more horsepower.
Yep! Had it done to my Softail Custom. Engine runs cooler and there was a definite boost in power. Very happy with the results.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"run more efficient"

Unless I was told wrong, the engine will run less efficiently with regards to miles per gallon after a Stage 1. As for the engine running cooler, I was told this is true, but the difference is nominal for an engine that is designed to run hot with factory (EPA specs).

I was also told that emissions increase with Stage 1 modification.

Last edited by Grizzwood; 02-26-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizzwood
"run more efficient"

Unless I was told wrong, the engine will run less efficiently with regards to miles per gallon after a Stage 1. As for the engine running cooler, I was told this is true, but the difference is nominal for an engine that is designed to run hot with factory (EPA specs).

I was also told that emissions increase with Stage 1 modification.
All true. Straight from the factory, the engine was extremely lean to meet emission standards. But on a hot day, while waiting at a red light, the engine heat was close to unbearable. With Stage 1, MPG goes down, power goes up, and engine heat goes down. Good trade off in my book.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:20 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leaving your bike 100% stock is the absolute best thing you could ever do. It will hold it's resale value stronger and a lot of time and frustration and MONEY will be saved. The real reason people modify is because they love to do it. Extra speed, more sound....these are just "Side Effects". The real reason we do it is because we love to wrench on, and play with, our bikes. Every bike I've ever had I always customized it....sometimes to a point where I don't like it anymore. Then, guess what????....it's time to buy a new bike and start all over!! LOL!

Old 02-26-2015, 03:32 PM
tjhog
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MADDOG187
I like ecu remaps , they dont really go wrong ,when there done there done , and unless your changing the pipes and a/c on a regular basis , then wheres the problem , its not worth what harley charge , thats a given , but what is at the end of the day .
Keep in mind the dealer re-map / re-flash ... is/has to be EPA compliant. Meaning your bike will still not run up to it's potential. My 50 state stage 1 got a BIG boost with just adding a PV-1 and auto-tuning. And it runs much cooler.

Last edited by tjhog; 02-26-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:12 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,090 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
It's a very broad term...it's not about some exact part or specific part number.

I means you've done "some performance upgrade" to the intake, and "some performance upgrade" to the exhaust, and either rejetted the carb or remapped the FI. Sometimes there's a 4th component..ignition upgrades.

Then you have Stage 2..stuff like CAM uprades. And then Stage 3....major engine upgrades like big bore.

for both..see my above reply.
This is kind of funny to me. My 08 was listed from the dealer as , Stage 1 intake, slip ons.
When I got there I found out that it also has the big bore kit and a fuelpak.
So does that make it a stage 3? or some odd combination of stages?

I think it just makes it not stock.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,090 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
Leaving your bike 100% stock is the absolute best thing you could ever do. It will hold it's resale value stronger and a lot of time and frustration and MONEY will be saved. The real reason people modify is because they love to do it. Extra speed, more sound....these are just "Side Effects". The real reason we do it is because we love to wrench on, and play with, our bikes. Every bike I've ever had I always customized it....sometimes to a point where I don't like it anymore. Then, guess what????....it's time to buy a new bike and start all over!! LOL!
Man you nailed it. I just bought one that is exactly what I was looking for. After I got it home in the garage and really started looking at it in close detail I was a bit let down because of that. I am having a hell of a time finding an excuse to wrench on it.

Quick Reply: What exactly is a "stage 1 upgrade"?