General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sitting on a bike thats not yours, what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
some hard core people here ...holy ****. when I was shopping for apes I would ask people with similier bikes that were running different brands of bars if I could sit on their bike. Not one person hesitated to let me , and gave me all sorts of information while I was sitting on their bikes. on the flip side , I couldn't count the people that have sat on mine doing the same thing....its a bike, help another rider out if ya can , thats what this life style is all about.
The 'asking' first is the key. It shows respect for something somebody cares strongly about. But don't ask to caress my wifes ***, because that shows disrespect. And if you're obviously a dirtbag fukup, don't ask to sit on my bike either, 'cause I ain't gonna give ya permission just to be polite.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:15 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Twice i've left my bike parked up and somebody has sat on it and unkown to me has fiddled around with the gear shift and left it in gear,so when i started it up the f**king thing leapt forward and i nearly fell off, and no i hadn't noticed that the neutral light wasn't on.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:29 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,010 Likes on 17,911 Posts

Twice I walked out and someone sitting on my bike , first guy was totally absorbed with how I had set it up and apologetic almost to tears , no problem and we had a lengthy conversation and couple beers doing shop talk . Second was a snot nosed 20 something tweaker and he's bouncing on the seat jerking the bars around going Zoom Zoom !! Looks at me and says What do you want ? It didn't end well for him .

Old 07-22-2011, 06:29 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,183 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by magna
and no i hadn't noticed that the neutral light wasn't on.
That'll learn ya! That light is there for a reason ya know.

To the OP....for me, I wouldn't be up for strangers asking to sit on my bike. Now...if someone came up and started a conversation about something I had....and we were talking for a while, and I got a feel for the guy that he was a genuine dude and serious about something and competent enough to straddle my bike without falling over...I'd offer the chance to to straddle it and try. Ride it? Never! (not that my bike has much for mods that make it unique enough to perk peoples interest). But for someone to come up and stare for 30 seconds and ask to hop on....no!

I wouldn't ask to sit on someones bike either.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 07-22-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
some hard core people here ...holy ****. when I was shopping for apes I would ask people with similier bikes that were running different brands of bars if I could sit on their bike. Not one person hesitated to let me , and gave me all sorts of information while I was sitting on their bikes. on the flip side , I couldn't count the people that have sat on mine doing the same thing....its a bike, help another rider out if ya can , thats what this life style is all about.
I agree. Alot of keyboard commandos here.

If someone strikes up conversation with me and asks about how my seat feels or how comfortable the handlebars are, I would answer their questions and tell them to hop on to see. No harm no foul.

Unlike some of these others bikes. Mine isn't a garage queen or a museum piece that needs a guard.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I have two stickers on my Speedo console, the one above the ignition switch is to remind myself, the one below the ignition switch is to remind everyone else.

Attached Thumbnails Sitting on a bike thats not yours, what do you do?-dscn1774.jpg  
Old 07-22-2011, 07:40 AM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
To the OP....for me, I wouldn't be up for strangers asking to sit on my bike. Now...if someone came up and started a conversation about something I had....and we were talking for a while, and I got a feel for the guy that he was a genuine dude and serious about something and competent enough to straddle my bike without falling over...I'd offer the chance to to straddle it and try. Ride it? Never! (not that my bike has much for mods that make it unique enough to perk peoples interest). But for someone to come up and stare for 30 seconds and ask to hop on....no!

I wouldn't ask to sit on someones bike either.
This is about where I'm parked on this issue. If the guy seems like a reasonable guy and is genuinely interested in a particular aspect of my bike, sure, get on and see how you like it. Some punk kid that's got an issue with respect? Umm...

Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,870 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Actually, the problem is when the owner returns and finds someone sitting on his bike. To avoid a problem with him, ya just need to wheel his bike somewhere else in the parking lot so you can take your time checking it out.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Saltwaterwop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greatscott
Dont touch without asking thats for damn sure. Try striking up a conversation with the guy. Maybe hint that you are thinking about buying that seat or bars or whatever. Ask how he likes it, and then maybe he offer to let you molest his bike. If not then I would keep on truckin. IMO if they dont offer then dont ask cuz you probably wont like the response.

Plus you yourself say you dont want anyone touching your bike. So why would you expect anything different from someone else.
^ This should work...

Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I may sit on someone else's bike if the owner invited to, but I would never just come out and ask.

Quick Reply: Sitting on a bike thats not yours, what do you do?