General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012s really disappointing.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 AM
ken b
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I agree with the OP, same shyt different day. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my 2011 WG but I am bumming that they kept the same paint color that I have from last year. Not a very exciting year. OK, ready for 2013 and hte 110th anniversary bikes... What are you offering now MoCo?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:57 AM
jward
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger
What are you expecting? How much can you change a motorcycle? How much do cars change from year to year? What has changed about YOUR appearence from one model year to the next..Did you upgrade your education or performance this year?

I guess 103's in softails and dynas is nothing. New audio in CVO's is nothing. New model in the dyna line is nothing,,

Sorry , just pisses me offpeople expecting some miricale change and blow your mind tech every six months!
Well said...

Old 07-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysonL
I agree with the bump to 103" . but honestly....they are still under powered compared to the competition . Perhaps I'm too picky .? But when you pay a premium price.... I expect premium performance . Harley does paint and chrome better than anyone else . They could do the same with power/handling/braking too . They could easily make every stock big twin come with 120 ft/lb of torque , but they don't . Why ? Maybe it's because they're too concerned with the fashion dept . The point regarding the cheaper model FXD, and Softail standard, is , for what you paid for them, you got the most for your dollar.....performance wise . So, now, you have to buy a more expensive bike, that still has a 96" motor ! i.e. FXDC, FXDB .

Yeah, but to do that they'd have to go back to the Timken Lefty Bearing that they took out in '03, ( but will still sell you in the Screaming Eagle P&A Book if you desire "additional durability".)

And don't forget a forged crank that they took out in 07 for the cheap cast piece that they run now...

Heh come to think of it, just give us back what you had standard in 99-02 and I'll look at a 2012!

Guess not, huh?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:53 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Yeah, but to do that they'd have to go back to the Timken Lefty Bearing that they took out in '03, ( but will still sell you in the Screaming Eagle P&A Book if you desire "additional durability".)

And don't forget a forged crank that they took out in 07 for the cheap cast piece that they run now...

Heh come to think of it, just give us back what you had standard in 99-02 and I'll look at a 2012!

Guess not, huh?
Exactly . These complaints have been brewing for a while . and the position that says "what other mc manufacturer offers a wider variety of colors, or models, etc"....is pure schit ! Every one of you guys would flop over dead when some rice hauler compares his ride to a Harley, but NOW you're all doing it FOR them !! For the love of god, take off the orange and black glasses, and look at the big picture ! They are totally crapifying the bikes, abd then throwing on a nice paint and chrome package and you guys are patting them on the back for doing it ! Kind of like taking it up the tail, and then asking for more ! But, hey....what do I know ? To each his own . I will never buy another NEW Harley again . And I will also never buy from a dealer . I'll buy used and fix what they screwed up . But you guys.....you can have all the cast cranks, generic bearings, .015 run out crank tolerance , crap you can buy . Hope it works out for ya !

Old 07-23-2011, 06:38 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, WTF?... I haven't even been in a Harley dealership in three years... well not since I bought my 08 crossbones... Do you change bikes every year?

Charlie D.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
+1 I think the significant reduction of the color palette is a cost saving decision. It saves them money to give us less choices. As an owner of a "funky" colored (as another poster put it) custom color bike, I think it is too bad that the choice are down to black, blue, red and silver for most bikes.
Maybe the mc hopes riders will repaint their rides. ??
I wonder how many exhausts were sold when they decided to put one tailpipe on street glides in 2010.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with some of the posts that say the MoCo may be sitting on anything big as far as change until the anniversary year. Outside of that, it is incremental changes. Look at what has come out as a whole over the past several years, 6 speed, more displacement standard, throttle by wire, oil coolers, redesigned exhaust for heat reduction to the rider, the third heim joint(still bugs me that they told everyone it wasn't needed for two years despite the fact they had applied for the patten). If they had rolled all of that out in the same year there would have been two potential problems the first being that some people will bitch for the sake of bitching and the other is they would have lost the proverbial carrot to dangle from year to year. While the year to year changes may not be earth shattering or to everyone's taste one thing Harley is good at is keeping it just different enough to keep people interested. Proof is that most everyone looks forward to the new model reveals every year almost like opening day or the first day of the NFL season. Maybe when they come out with a hovercraft the naysayers will be happy.