General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012s really disappointing.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:25 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Challenger
What are you expecting? How much can you change a motorcycle? How much do cars change from year to year? What has changed about YOUR appearence from one model year to the next..Did you upgrade your education or performance this year?

I guess 103's in softails and dynas is nothing. New audio in CVO's is nothing. New model in the dyna line is nothing,,

Sorry , just pisses me offpeople expecting some miricale change and blow your mind tech every six months!
+++1 Agree with your comment 100%....these are motorcycles, not an iPod, iPhone, iPad or other electronic gadget that change every 6 months

Old 07-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would rather see what is called "continuous improvement" in the existing designs rather than changing something just for the sake of change.

ABS on more bikes, CAN on more bikes, elimination of some relays and fuses on some bikes...all these seem like good things to me.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Have to agree with most of the responses so far. I just dont know what some people were expecting for something "new". I mean, like its a motorcycle, not a iPad or iPhone for crying out loud. I for one did not like the crazy weird colors from previous model years and find what is offered this year to be adequate (except maybe for that orange on orange). The Tourers get the 103 which was no surprise but also getting the oil cooler was a nice perk. For those complaining about a lack of "engineering progress" take a look at the CAN system that has been deployed. That IS some new engineering (if you can understand what it does) and greatly reduces some potential failure points in the electrical system (how many of you have chased gremlins in a vehicle electrical system?). Not sure about that new Dyna FL "tourer", I will have to see it up close. I think the MoCo keeps an eye on what its customers are doing to their bikes after the sale and is doing a good job of incorporating what they see be done in owner customization (ie sound systems in the hard bags, etc.). These are subtle changes in the direction that potential buyers of new bikes are wanting. My biggest concern is the pricing on these bikes. All the tourers are bumping the $20K ceiling and will easily be over that when actually sold and out the dealership door. I recognize that costs for just about everything are increasing but come on, $20 thousand dollars for a motorcycle??? $34 thousand dollars for a CVO StreetGlide??? Oh the insanity!!! If I were in the market for a new bike (which I am not, love my 2010 StreetGlide!) I find the 2012 models offer several good choices and in palatable colors. Now if I could just understand why its gonna cost me almost $700 for two new tires.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:44 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2012 line up is a reflection of how several years of our **** poor economy has impacted HD. The pool of new motorcycle buyers has shrunk so as a result they have paired back the model lines and variety (colors, etc.) of what is available. Buyers of the new bikes will pay higher prices than in past years as profit margins on each new bike are tighter with less new bike inventory available.

Last edited by bloomington g; 07-21-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my motorcycles, boats, trucks, etc. The only new model year that excites me has a pair of breast. I am getting where I like them older and more worldly.

Last edited by oldairboater; 07-21-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What exactly do you expect? Harley's "claim to fame" is retro styling. Don't expect much year to year except color and configuration changes. If you want to see big changes and new models every year, visit the Honda site.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You were expecting water cooled motors?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Each new year's crop of Harley's reminds me of something that Britain's last domestic luxury car manufacturer (Bristol) said once. It was something like: "We prefer continual and incremental improvements instead of startling the public with a new model every few years."

Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
lets see, all big twins (save for 2 models) come with 103s, touring bikes get oil coolers, and acrs, a new dyna touring model, not as many 'funky' colors, and when you look at the increased dispacement engine and compare msrp this year to last year, prices have actually dropped.

what exactly is it you want that the moco failed to deliver? water cooling? no thanks. a cappucino machine? these ain't goldwings ya know....

personally, i have no problems with the 2012 offerings... (especially since i'm planning on buying one )

2011 had 4 dynas and 7 softails, 2012 has 5 dynas, and 5 softails (dropped the crossbones and the rocker. were you planning on one of them?)
Nope, just an observation.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Stock is way up...$45+, sales are up dramatically over past two years. Must be doing something right.

Quick Reply: 2012s really disappointing.....