General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD vs Metric

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 AM
gfburke
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raced my first metrics tonight (first bike to bike that is). Already knew the outcome. fun. Also helps when there is no real race experience from the metrics rider.

But if we where to hit 4th, he'd walk away im sure.
love stoplight to stoplight. ~

Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

get yourself a metric and go join a metric forum!!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Bob-n-Ohio
Cruiser

Wow, and you're on a HD forum....WTF!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

Originally Posted by Goliath51989
Maddog are yall still mad we kicked your asses in the Revolutionary war, and bail ur brit asses outta two world wars?
not another one , **** i give up
i ride a Harley Fat Bob , i like it a lot , but after posting something that was funny , and meant as humour , a real dumb *** called BJewel starts ranting on about all kinds of **** ,
i have nothing against AMERICA , and thank you very much for the help in the 2 world wars by the way , and yes we would be speaking German and riding BMW,s if you hadn't turned up (right at the fuking end by the way ) and you would have been next on hitlers hit list .
as for the war of independance , there were plenty of British guys fighting against the British red coats , it was more of a revolution , so we all one that one , it did **** the queen off though ...lol....... but it was about freedom from tyranny , not who owns America , if you went down that route , the president would be a native American not a half English black man .
only in America

Last edited by MADDOG187; 07-28-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow, you're not only an ******* but a racist to boot. Who cares what you own? You start that **** about Harley riders are queers and you can expect to get the holy **** beat out of you the first time you get off the Queen Elizabeth at Ellis Island.

Another thing. You f@ckwads put down people like my father who fought in WWII about how we came "in at the end." Last I heard, we were bailing yer *** out sending you all sorts of weapons until 1941, and then we sent kids from all over the USA to fight and die for Y-O-U. You *** munchers were almost down for the count at that point. Don't ever, ever f@cking put down the American military or the soldiers who gave their lives to free Europe. That is another snide remark that is a guaranteed serious a beatdown around where i live.

Last edited by bjewell; 07-28-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM
eddie73nyc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by midnitevil
i certainly see a hell of a lot more 20+ year old harleys on the road than i do metrics. I very rarely see a metric from the 80's still running. Seeing one from the 60's or 70's is even more rare, and those are almost always a complete restoration from a basket case.

Conversely, i know of quite a few harleys from the 80's or earlier that are still being ridden by their current owner, and have been ridden continuously since they were new.

I think part of it is that harleys are less complex, usually, and much easier to maintain, and the parts are more easily available.
agreed 100%

Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I certainly see a hell of a lot more 20+ year old Harleys on the road than I do metrics. I very rarely see a metric from the 80's still running. Seeing one from the 60's or 70's is even more rare, and those are almost always a complete restoration from a basket case.

Conversely, I know of quite a few Harleys from the 80's or earlier that are still being ridden by their current owner, and have been ridden continuously since they were new.

I think part of it is that Harleys are less complex, usually, and much easier to maintain, and the parts are more easily available.
That has nothing to do with durability. You also see far more Corvettes from the 60s than you do basic people movers. Does this mean that Corvettes were the most well-built vehicle at the time? Of course not. But it does mean that people tend to see them as something to collect or keep for a long time, and therefore invest the time, money, and effort to maintain them.

As far as being ridden "continuously", that's easy considering that your average cruiser sees barely over 2,000 miles a year.

It really all comes down to how the bike is ridden, and how proactive and informed the owner is about maintenance.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Goliath51989
Maddog are yall still mad we kicked your asses in the Revolutionary war, and bail ur brit asses outta two world wars?
Hmmm, glad we won the Revolutionary War but the Brits are our greatest allies in current times. The P51 Mustang would not have fared as well as it did in WWII had it not been for the British Merlin engine which eliminated stalls in high altitude maneuvers due to the original carburetor engine.

However, the US military is by far the best ever; now if the politicians will get out of the way and let them do their thing we'd all be better off.

Thank you Vets!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

BJ ewell , nothing racist about what Ive said , it sounds to me like you have a little secret , a little bit of a sexual identity crisis going on there mate ,
seems your the only one who doesn't get it , why would i say Harley riders are gay and mean it , when i ride a Harley , and I'm 100% straight ( thats sarcastic humour )
but it seems Ive hit a nerve with you , i didn't want you to OUT yourself on a public forum , for that I'm truly sorry .
big hugs and kisses from your brothers across the pond , i hope your an inspiration to others .

Old 07-28-2011, 08:46 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

See you have to do the gay thing again. It's in yer blood mate, you can't help it. It's who you are and yes you have hit a nerve that you probably don't want to, aka I went to Catholic school as a kid. Assmunch...

Quick Reply: HD vs Metric