General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD vs Metric

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Metrics are copycat wannabees.
I love watching motorcycle racing, but I have to laugh at all those copycat sportbikes zooming around the track behind the Harley sportbike they all copy!

The manufacturers of these bikes cannot seem to come up with anything original, so they have to copy Harley to get into the cruiser market, even the wording of the ads................
Yeah... Harley invented the first motorcycle and the first cruiser. That's all anyone sells anymore is cruisers.

[/QUOTE]Riding a Metric is like wearing a Rolex knock-off watch and trying to pass it off as real.[/QUOTE]

Those American made Rolex watches are awesome. Just like Ferrari's!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

Only one metric bike has caught my eye, the Ducati Diavel. But then I would need to upgrade my Super Glide Custom to an Electra Glide or Road King and keep two bikes.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DonJulio103
Ive tricked out a couple metrics,, dumped all kinds of money into them. They are really fast, never had an issue even with bottles and bottles of nitrous run through them. I bought them new, tricked them out and dumped them after 3--4 years. To me they dont hold there value long enough to keep them. Now I have a 2011 RGC103 than I plan on keeping. Both of these bikes were around $13K each when new, its alot of bike for the buck, if you cant afford a HD.
I paid about $1K more for my "used" CVO Road King earlier this year. I say "used" because it had less than 900 miles on it. And because it's a CVO, I haven't had to trick it out at all.

I'm guessing that it will be worth a heck of a lot more than a $13K metric after I spend a few years riding it.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

My riding buddy bought 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600cc one month after I bought my 07 Ultra. We are both "older" gentleman riders and ride our bikes gently for the most part. On trips, we cruise at 70mph. Presently, I have just over 57,000 on mine, and he has about 56,500 on his. Here is our comparison;

Kawasaki: He changes oil every 2500 miles. Uses cheapest 20-50W from Walmart. Buys his filters from Auto Zone.

Harley Ultra: I purchased a full maintenance program and its been serviced every 5,000 miles by Zion HD, where I bought it.

Kawasaki: at about 32,000 miles, it broke a rocker arm in the front cylinder. He was down for a month, because the part had to be ordered from Japan.

Harley Ultra: first warranteed problem was the inner shaft bearing at 40,000 miles.

Kawasaki: no other problems until recently, when some bad gas got into the fuel pump (inside the gas tank). Bike is in the shop now.

Harley Ultra: additional problems since new include three replaced fairing brackets (kawasaki has no fairing), a stator at 55,000 miles (while replacing the seal between the engine and compensator, they said it was about to go), a couple of broken tour pack latches (Kawasaki has none).

He paid $12,500 for the Kawasaki, I paid $22,500 for the Ultra with extended warranty.

Did I get more bang for my buck at $10,000 more money? Not if you look only at servicability. He had a engine problem that was not typical. I've had only bearing troubles. He has been towed to the shop, I never have. He loves his bike, I love mine.

Presently, my buddy's bike is in the shop because he couldn't fix the problem himself. He is tight with a buck, I should be but am not when it comes to my Harley. So, who's best served? Both of us!! He rides what he likes, and so do I.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would you like some rice with that fish?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM
rlggray
Tourer

Just ride what u like & don't worry about it !

Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 PM
MADDOG187
Road Master

Originally Posted by bjewell
First, all British men are gay. You invented that ****, mostly because your women are the ugliest on the planet. Second, the gays-on-harleys thing is an English thing. If you would like to come over here and repeat what you said to the face of 99.9 percent of Harley riders, we would be most happy to relieve you of your ugly yellow teeth.

Third, the Britsh haven't engineered anything of value since 1875. You don't even make cars anymore, most of you are on welfare and Triumphs are ugly pieces of ****.

Last, the French, Dutch, Italians and the Germans regularly kick your *** playing soccer which is puzzling because it's a little girl's game and you are a nation of women and women wannabe's...
lol , you really don't get it do you , it was humour , thats another thing we invented
but if you must show your ignorance then so be it , the gay thing was invented by the ancient Greeks , and adopted after , by the romans , luckily we don't have many of either in the UK , do you have many Greek and Italian immigrants that settled in the U.S.A ?....lol the answer is yes ,

our women are the prettiest best educated woman in the world , Britain is made up of ENGLAND , SCOTLAND WALES AND IRELAND , did any ladies from these countries settle in America , lol .......the answer is yes

Britain make some the most highly regarded cars in the world
cars that are made in Britain , include , Rolls Royce , Bentley , Aston Martin , Range Rover , TVR , Lotus & Morgan , have you heard of any of these popular car Brands..lol.....the answer is yes

triumph are the fastest growing motorcycle company in the world , and make some of the biggest and best looking motorcycles around , we have Norton back as well , watch this space .

as for football , its not my game , but we invented it , we didn't steal another British game called rugby football and call it American football or a girls game called rounders and call it base ball , we invented it and exported it around the world , in fact its the worlds national game ,we don't always win or play that well really , but its a world stage , the football world cup is kinda like your super bowl , but even more SUPER .....lol
as for welfare , we do have a few Ponce's in our country , but if every American worked and paid taxes you wouldn't owe the Chinese trillions of dollars would you . the answer to that one is No,
BJ is about right ......GOOD NIGHT .

Last edited by MADDOG187; 07-27-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I know that my HD's will outlast me. So I don't give a flying fig.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Goliath51989
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maddog are yall still mad we kicked your asses in the Revolutionary war, and bail ur brit asses outta two world wars?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:52 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

except for sportbikes, if you can ride and hang on past the violent vibrations, a harley will run alongside/past any metric..i have ran an 01 EGC 100mph down the highway with a pack of 1000cc sportbikes a few times .. trust me,the metric bikes that have 100k miles have had plenty of repairs/maintenance along the line too..on a goldwing half the wear parts require pulling the engine..

Quick Reply: HD vs Metric