General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD vs Metric

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
great video! British humor at it's best.

and a great looking bike.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like someone else already said, take care of your HD and it will take care of you. Keeping up on the regular maintenance is key and will get you a long way.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:48 PM
JWD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
That's funny!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Masarov
Advanced

Someone asks a question about cubic centimeters versus cubic inches and someone goes bigot-ballistic over Japan? That's progress.

Originally Posted by LarryLives
Lay off the crack OP, The HD is far superior to and pile of rice!
Speed, well what do you want? Its available.
Try Google, look **** up, you wanna build a drag bike, its gunna be a vtwin.
Can you get a fast production bike from the ricers, yes.
Can you get a fast production HD, yes.
All depends on what you like and what you want to spend.
IMO, go get urself a pile of rice. I dont think your quite smart / educated enough to be on a HD yet. Once you learn more then you can make the decision ...
Until then, rice it up! Oh, and have fun reading your ricer service manual = ching chong walla walla bing bong!
((just dont stretch the swingarm if its gunna be a street riden bike, you will look like a Retard!)))!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bikemiser
I've heard the arguments about how slow or how fast a HD is compared to everything else. I think we pretty much agree that a HD is going to get beat in any kind of a race with a metric bike. I really don't care about that, but I am, interested about the longivity of my HD air cooled engine compared to a liquid cooled metric bike. I read on this forum about HD's with over 100K miles. I read on metric forums about bikes with over 100K miles. By the nature of the engine design, does the Harley take more repairs to get that many miles.

It's as simple as this:

Metrics are copycat wannabees. The manufacturers of these bikes cannot seem to come up with anything original, so they have to copy Harley to get into the cruiser market, even the wording of the ads................

Riding a Metric is like wearing a Rolex knock-off watch and trying to pass it off as real.

Yeah, a Harley will last.............................................. ..

Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 AM
HD-JESSE
Advanced

Harleys keep there value year after year. Maintenance is the key to longevity regardless of brand.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Apples vs oranges , while all the rocket heads are out trying to break the sound barrier I've their girlfriends heels in the air making them sweat , fair trade I think .

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 AM
zam70
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At one time or another, I've owned about every make on the planet (at least the known ones)
And the Japanese bikes are NOT built better than the HDs. It's one of the reasons I settled on an HD, build quality.
Second best were the Brit bikes.
they all have their issues, they all have their advantages...buy the one the suits you best.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 AM
duty2
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

All I worry about with my 08 Ultra is how many miles it can eat up in a day.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bikemiser
I've heard the arguments about how slow or how fast a HD is compared to everything else. I think we pretty much agree that a HD is going to get beat in any kind of a race with a metric bike. I really don't care about that, but I am, interested about the longivity of my HD air cooled engine compared to a liquid cooled metric bike. I read on this forum about HD's with over 100K miles. I read on metric forums about bikes with over 100K miles. By the nature of the engine design, does the Harley take more repairs to get that many miles.
I've never seen or met anybody with a metric with that kind of miles. Never even heard fo 100K metrics, other than on the internet. 100K Harleys are relatively common.

If you know enough to change your own oil, you can look at a metric Harley-copy for about 2 minutes and see how much lower the quality is from end to end.

Quick Reply: HD vs Metric