General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD vs Metric

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:28 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

OK, let's give him a break at only 11 posts. He doesn't realize that this horse has been thoroughly thrashed yet!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Captain Chaos
Road Master
Received 948 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
If you're interested in speed, then consider something along the lines of a Ducati 1198 SP (170 hp with a top speed of about 190 mph).

If you're more concerned with longevity then consider a new Huffy Cruiser. Now they might not go 100K miles but then your knees probably won't either.

Seriously, you might want to give up on the whole motorcycle idea and get something like a Honda Civic...just sayin'
Boy, you see one little reference to speed and power and you pounce all over it and then follow up with a nice little passive/aggressive insult. Try reading the WHOLE statement next time:
" .....I think we pretty much agree that a HD is going to get beat in any kind of a race with a metric bike. I really don't care about that,......"

Originally Posted by bikemiser
I've heard the arguments about how slow or how fast a HD is compared to everything else. I think we pretty much agree that a HD is going to get beat in any kind of a race with a metric bike. I really don't care about that, but I am, interested about the longivity of my HD air cooled engine compared to a liquid cooled metric bike. I read on this forum about HD's with over 100K miles. I read on metric forums about bikes with over 100K miles. By the nature of the engine design, does the Harley take more repairs to get that many miles.
From a purely theoretical standpoint the water cooled motors motors have the advantage in longevity as the wild temperature swings and comparatively high operating temps of an air cooled motor are HARD on components. This is especially true when you start talking similar power levels. a 1000cc 150hp water cooled twin should theoretically live a longer, happier life than a 1000cc 150hp air cooled twin. Since few twins are at the kind of power density level (150hp per liter) ,especially air cooled ones, it's sort of a moot point They both survive nicely at the current power levels and even somewhat higher.
In the real world things go wrong with either motor and they will both, most likely, need some minor repairs before they hit the 100k. Motorcycles are a tough environment for mechanical parts.
The biggest advantage to a water cooled motor is the ability to make considerably more power and keep that longevity. The current crop of water cooled twins (as far as cruisers go) really don't take advantage of that ability save for a very select few such as the V-Rod.

I bet you all thought I was going to take this opportunity to bash Harley again, didn't you.

Last edited by Captain Chaos; 07-20-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwin1340
It all depends on how you, ride and maintain it. If your major decision point is on how long the engine lasts, you shouldn't ride a Harley.
yep, I agree

Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
OK, let's give him a break at only 11 posts. He doesn't realize that this horse has been thoroughly thrashed yet!
I can understand if he didn't understand (or think about it) when he originally posted this. But by now he should.
My Harley has been as reliable as the metrics I've owned in the past. How you treat a machine (care and operation) will make it last a long time.
Most motorcycles die from abuse rather than wear out.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Take care of it, and it will take care of you. Regardless of what it is, the fact remains it is a man made machine, it requires service and some TLC.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're missing the whole thing have had HD and Honda they are different and have their pluses drink the kool aide it's good for you and will clear everything up just a few more sips, that's the way.... My missed 95 FLSTN was a very well made bike without any major issues other than normal maintenance same as my Honda they just ride differently is the only difference.

Last edited by SeeMeDo; 07-20-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:09 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With only 11 posts, and the fact that he didn't respond to ANY of the 16 replies in this one, I call TROLL.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprised it has taken this long! ....

Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the spray out.

Attached Thumbnails HD vs Metric-troll_spray.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Lay off the crack OP, The HD is far superior to and pile of rice!
Speed, well what do you want? Its available.
Try Google, look **** up, you wanna build a drag bike, its gunna be a vtwin.
Can you get a fast production bike from the ricers, yes.
Can you get a fast production HD, yes.
All depends on what you like and what you want to spend.
IMO, go get urself a pile of rice. I dont think your quite smart / educated enough to be on a HD yet. Once you learn more then you can make the decision ...
Until then, rice it up! Oh, and have fun reading your ricer service manual = ching chong walla walla bing bong!
((just dont stretch the swingarm if its gunna be a street riden bike, you will look like a Retard!)))!!!

Quick Reply: HD vs Metric