General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who frekin chip seals a freeway!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Update. It looks like they put about one inch of assfault over the chip seal. So much nicer! But I must say never seen them put chip seal down then pave over it. What do I know. At least its smooth and black just the way I like it!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman9513
What part of NC are you in?
I work for the NC Dept. of Transportation but not in that dept., I plant grass for a living!
We do erosion control, but the dept. that does chip sealing is called the road oil dept., they call it bituminous paving, and they do it everywhere here at the coast.
Its cheaper then blacktopping and it does make the road last longer but it does suck.
The workers in this dept. get paid a bonus for the amount of work they do, they are the only dept. that gets bonus pay.
There are some roads that have been so beat up that they do a chip seal and a few months later will reblacktop and it holds up better.
But alot of back, scondary roads are chip sealed and thats the way they stay for years.
Here the dot lays the tar and then spreads the rock with a machine called a chip spreader, after that they will put down a layer of sand so tar isnt flying all over, then a few days or so later they sweep it off with a tractor sweeper.
Over the course of time the rock will seperate from the road and there will be lines of rock and then smooth asphalt between the rock lines, these kinds of roads are a joy to ride as your bike will be wiggiling all over from front to back, it can surprise you at times.
I dont like it either, it is hard on you car and truck ties as well as bike tires.
Anyhow, like I said, what part of NC are you in? If they dont do it in your area then you are lucky.
Okay, now I know what it is. They do some roads out in the country like that, I have ridden on them and they do suck. I live in Fayetteville now but I am moving to Gray's Creek.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will add that the NCDOT has moved to using a different kind of gravel, its very light and has all but done away with tort claims for windshiels and such, it is a black looking gravel, very small.
And everytime they do a road its a certain that there will be accidents on these roads for a few days but they put up plenty of signs warning about it.
They will have road construction signs up and then loose gravel signs every so often throughout the length of the project.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

They do a lot of secondary highways here too...hell i have battle scars all over the b ike so i don't worry about it anymore.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 PM
foxtrot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Sealing enhances Saftey

Thats wht Ohio DoT says.
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts...factsheet.aspx

Old 07-22-2011, 02:45 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Heading home yesterday on the 101 and I see a sign "loose gravel ahead". WTF effin fresh chip seal and gravel everywhere. Semi's kicking up a cloud of gravel. I slowed down to 25 trying not to get pelted or sustain more gravel chips in my paint set. I have never seen someone chip
seal a freeway. Yep had to vent. Had to pic some gravel out of
the air cleaner.
Welcome to my world. They do that in the Uk all the time.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman9513
What part of NC are you in?
I work for the NC Dept. of Transportation but not in that dept., I plant grass for a living!
We do erosion control, but the dept. that does chip sealing is called the road oil dept., they call it bituminous paving, and they do it everywhere here at the coast.
Its cheaper then blacktopping and it does make the road last longer but it does suck.
The workers in this dept. get paid a bonus for the amount of work they do, they are the only dept. that gets bonus pay.
There are some roads that have been so beat up that they do a chip seal and a few months later will reblacktop and it holds up better.
But alot of back, scondary roads are chip sealed and thats the way they stay for years.
Here the dot lays the tar and then spreads the rock with a machine called a chip spreader, after that they will put down a layer of sand so tar isnt flying all over, then a few days or so later they sweep it off with a tractor sweeper.
Over the course of time the rock will seperate from the road and there will be lines of rock and then smooth asphalt between the rock lines, these kinds of roads are a joy to ride as your bike will be wiggiling all over from front to back, it can surprise you at times.
I dont like it either, it is hard on you car and truck ties as well as bike tires.
Anyhow, like I said, what part of NC are you in? If they dont do it in your area then you are lucky.
Also one of the reasons our freaking tires don't last...We have nice interstates and primary hyghways but some backroads???? Hey a lot of our backroads are better than some of the highways in northern cities though i will say that....

Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rolling north on Highway 83 north of Minot Yesterday in the big truck, Ran into fresh oil loose rock signs. Speeds were posted 45 mph for 20+ miles. I met a guy on a bike and rather then move over and kick up more of this crap, I just stopped until he went by.

A few weeks ago, I met a chip truck that was over loaded and not tarped. The wind was blowing the stuff off the top of his trailer. I was on the bike and got completely sandblasted.

About 15 years ago they did a road near by. Something was wrong with the oil mix and it did not cure correctly. The road turned into a greasy mess of tar etc. People were sliding into the ditch etc. The town was a mess of dripping tar all over the place. Cars were completely covered in the stuff until the road got closed until it could be fixed. The companies insurance had to pay for alot of clean up on cars etc.

I don't mind the roads that have been sealed and chipped it is just a pain until all the loose stuff is gone.