General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who frekin chip seals a freeway!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Would hate to hit that stuff at night. Would never see it until too late.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Had a chip n seal bite me in the *** a couple years ago. They either for got the seal part or used 7-8 times more chip than they needed. It was 3 or 4 inches deep and nothing adhered to the road AND not a sign in sight about construction or loose gravel. When the cops showed up they closed the road to prevent further accidents until the county got a street sweeper out there.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

around here it isn't even a money saving thing..they strip and totally repave the road first,then dump way too much gravel on it a few days later..i have seen it on every main road around akron/canton.i still need to shovel my concrete driveway out from the repaving/chip seal they did last fall,i almost drop my bike everytime i walk it out of the garage from all the loose gravel..

Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Chip seal in Utah, one lane, several years ago on our way back from Sturgis. No one was supposed to drive on the chip seal, but many cars drove on that side and kicked up chip seal that we ate for at least 30 miles. Not pleasant, and chips in paint needed repaired.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

They chip sealed the county road I live on, I only have to ride about 150 yards of it, I took my ATV with snow plow on the front and scraped it all off in the ditch best I could. Can't ride a bike on that crap.

Last edited by Jeff W; 07-20-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do that here every few years. I just take my old beater truck to work until it's been driven over for a few days.
They post 35mph signs, but people drive faster through it throwing the gravel as they go.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 AM
anickel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j1mmy
around here it isn't even a money saving thing..they strip and totally repave the road first,then dump way too much gravel on it a few days later..i have seen it on every main road around akron/canton.i still need to shovel my concrete driveway out from the repaving/chip seal they did last fall,i almost drop my bike everytime i walk it out of the garage from all the loose gravel..
In my area they will sometimes do what they call a scratch coat. Looks like a freshly paved road but it is only 1- 1 1/2" thick. This is done just to get the old road smoother. Then within a year they'll do a full seal (tar and chip), to make it last longer.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

total bull ****.
I say they make all states DOT directors and Governors ride a bike around and see what we deal with!
And if they are too ***** to ride, then someone can ride them b!tch and see what its like out there!
**** is fallen apart all around us!

I live near the "International Airport", My state is trina promote travel so we can increase revenue. However, once you get of a plane, rent a car, and drive by the "Welcome to CT" sign, its like a fuken war zone!
WTF!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:07 AM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a way of life here in Montana. New road...repaved road...you can bet there will chip seal coming. Buncha' crap is what it is. I am sure that studies funded by the local tar industry and gravel pit owners association say that chip seal lenghtens the life of the pavement....

Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Monroeville, Pa. the other day. Chipseal on road with warning signs. Have seen it elsewhere lately in Va. and Md. with signs warning of loose gravel. I can't believe they still use this chit...have'nt seen it in a long time.

Quick Reply: Who frekin chip seals a freeway!