General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmet On A Fatboy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Stranglehold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Face Helmet On A Fatboy...

Currently I own a Night Rod Special and have never second guessed wearing a full face helmet while riding it. However, in the next month or so I'm thinking of moving on to a Fatboy Lo. I don't really want to get out on the road without a full face helmet as I can't help but notice that they really don't fit the cruiser style, and I don't want to sacrifice the safety of a full face for a helmet with less surface area coverage.

Anyway, here's my question...if you had to wear a full face (or if you already do) on a cruiser, what kind (style, brand, model) do you feel most suits the cruiser style bikes?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An FF helmet is an FF helmet, regardless of the style of bike. Just avoid the ones that are covered in all those "go faster" graphics and you shouldn't look too bad.

Also, styling aside, a full-face helmet means that if you do come off you're more likely to retain a full face...

Old 07-18-2011, 06:22 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stranglehold
Currently I own a Night Rod Special and have never second guessed wearing a full face helmet while riding it. However, in the next month or so I'm thinking of moving on to a Fatboy Lo. I don't really want to get out on the road without a full face helmet as I can't help but notice that they really don't fit the cruiser style, and I don't want to sacrifice the safety of a full face for a helmet with less surface area coverage.

Anyway, here's my question...if you had to wear a full face (or if you already do) on a cruiser, what kind (style, brand, model) do you feel most suits the cruiser style bikes?

Probably something plain black that doesn't call attention to itself. I have a red and silver Vega full-face, but it's only for rain and long trips (when it might rain) through helmet states. Al that colorful crap looks like it belongs on a sportbike. Of course, mine is red and silver with sporty graphics, but it's the model that fit best and cost least. I guess I could paint it if I cared.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Ed Vanharley
Road Captain

Studies have shown that Novelty Half-Helmets are safer than a full face helmet in the event you are traveling under a very low bridge, A DOT approved full face helmet will sit higher on your head and possibly hit the underside of a very low bridge whereas a cheap novelty helmet will sit low on your head possibly saving your life. You will also have more money in your pocket from the dramatic fuel savings with the more aerodynamic Half helmet.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 AM
VA Biker
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ed Vanharley
Studies have shown that Novelty Half-Helmets are safer than a full face helmet in the event you are traveling under a very low bridge, A DOT approved full face helmet will sit higher on your head and possibly hit the underside of a very low bridge whereas a cheap novelty helmet will sit low on your head possibly saving your life. You will also have more money in your pocket from the dramatic fuel savings with the more aerodynamic Half helmet.
LMAO... good stuff

I have a Fat Bob. I wear a Full Face scorpion in flat black. I have worn FF for the 25 years I have been ridding. I have had people claim that the reason they dont wear a FF is because they cant hear. Ride down the road at 55 mph with a half helmet and tell me what you hear. Dont wear what your not comfortable with because you think it looks right.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wear what you want to and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Depends if your FF matches your outfit or not................

Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Johnny K
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a fatboy and wear a full face. Yeah, a novelty dome fits the bike best, but if you've decided give up style to preserve that smile your momma loves so much:

1. Go with either black, or paint that matches the bike
2. A tinted visor ups the cool factor a bit.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:16 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Chapter 3 in the HOG fashion police manual is very clear on the wearing of full face helmets:

"Wearing a good full face helmet is always in style and is a must for every well heeled "biker", but remember:

1. Wearing a black helmet before 6pm is in poor taste and is never acceptable.
2. White helmets can only be worn from the Easter holiday through Labor Day.

One final point, never EVER wear a full faced helmet with a windshield. It just isn't done. You will be shunned by all the fashion conscious "bikers" you meet on the road and no one will respond when you throw the "infamous" Harley wave."

Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an orange one. That would make the highest point while you are moving a nice bright color.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmet On A Fatboy...