General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use an oil scavenger ..... or not.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My manual states to put in 3 quarts when the engine is dry. If changing oil only put in 2 1/2 quarts. Everytime I change the oil and put in 2 1/2 quarts it brings it right up to the full line when I check it hot.
So it looks like a half quart of old oil is still in there. Who gives a damn? I'm not eating out of the damn thing.
It ain't gonna hurt it, spend your money on something else.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Waste of time.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:27 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that important to me. I change oil at 2500 miles on the bikes, use a good synthetic, with a premium filter. Sometimes enough is enough.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mal74
Scavenge 1 quart of nasty oil out of your motor ..... or leave it in.

I use the Scavenger, it does remove 28 to 32 oz. of dirty oil that would be left in your engine. That being said there are lots of posters on this forum that for some unknown reason do not like the Scavenger and will argue with you about it until they are blue in the face. They are, for the most part the same type of people as those that think the earth is flat. It does no good to argue with them and it is a total waste of time, they will never believe what is blatantly obvious and they will never get over their irrational hatred of the Scavenger. I changed my oil this morning and pumped out approx. a quart of nasty oil, but it never happened, get used to it. It is a huge pile of BULL CRAP!

Last edited by Dixie Dreg; 07-17-2011 at 08:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ridetothehill (01-08-2020)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Life is short. Go for a ride and stop worrying about a few ounces of slightly used oil.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:52 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Since I have a Dyna I can only speak to their oiling systems, but it doesn't actually cost a penny more than half a quart of oil to get the last dirty oil out. I drain the tank, spin off the filter, refill the tank and stick a piece of cardboard under the filter housing. I then shove my a cheap plastic bowl under the cardboard and idle the bike for 10 or 15 seconds, or till the oil runs clean. Its not like oil comes flying out of the bike like a fire hose. It just very slowly pumps out of the filter housing and drains into the bowl. Then I spin on a new filter and add a half quart of oil to the tank and call it a day. I'll say this to those who have not tried it, my oil really does stay cleaner for a heck of a lot longer now that I do this.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Since I have a Dyna I can only speak to their oiling systems, but it doesn't actually cost a penny more than half a quart of oil to get the last dirty oil out. I drain the tank, spin off the filter, refill the tank and stick a piece of cardboard under the filter housing. I then shove my a cheap plastic bowl under the cardboard and idle the bike for 10 or 15 seconds, or till the oil runs clean. Its not like oil comes flying out of the bike like a fire hose. It just very slowly pumps out of the filter housing and drains into the bowl. Then I spin on a new filter and add a half quart of oil to the tank and call it a day. I'll say this to those who have not tried it, my oil really does stay cleaner for a heck of a lot longer now that I do this.
What he said. I've been scavenging for several years now.
If you change your own oil, it's a minute or two longer.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Bob-n-Ohio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question, I don't have a Scavenger for oil changes, but does the scavenger require you to run the motor for a short period without a filter also?

If it does the idea of doing it the way without the puck seems to do the same thing if you're that worried about the last few oz's of oil........

Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

You do understand that Touring bikes and Dyna's have an oil pan which is more likely to have all the old oil in it. A Softail is a dry sump that the oil is pumped up into the oil bag. It would be very likely that some old oil is still in the sump but 1 quart is ridiculous.

I have done many changes on my 07 (bought in Aug. 06). After changing and going for a short ride, I have never seen the oil over the full mark.

Even at that the few ounces that remain is totally insignificant to the engine and its life cycle.

Scavenging is one of those "feel good" , "cheap insurance" and "peace of mind" things that are wholly without merit or substance. But it is one's machine so have at it. Do what you do.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-18-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Dirty oil WILL pump out of that spigot somewhere in the vacinity of 1/2 a quart before it turns clear. That is dirty oil that would otherwise be pumped right back in the tank. Is it that big a deal, no. But it does happen.

At least on Dyna's.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 07-18-2011 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
snowsnyper (07-12-2016)

Quick Reply: Use an oil scavenger ..... or not.