General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surfin the net for a place to stay around Sturgis in 2007.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:00 AM
kimo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surfin the net for a place to stay around Sturgis in 2007.

Me and the wife tamed The Dragon this year. Even though it Nipped my exhaust tips. p Our first motorcycle trip ever. We had a great time. And Ill try and get pics posted sometime this week.

We are now planning our trip to Sturgis. And would like any and all suggestions on where to stay.. We have a few ideas, Glencoe is on the top of our list. RnR ranch, and Shade valley are a couple more. Theres so many to chose from. Full Throttle saloon looks like a kick in the ****. but i think i may get into to much trouble there lol.

I think we will be best suited for somthing far enuff out where we can get at least a few hours sleep. P

We are from Louisiana, So sleeping with out AC just seems plain insane. Unless the night time air is rather comfortable in the Sturgis area.
So my question on the sleeping part is. Are tents a bad idea?

O Yeah, A place with a shuttle service to sturgis would be Great also.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:09 AM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Surfin the net for a place to stay around Sturgis in 2007.

NO TENTS or Campgrounds unless you are YOUNG, WILD AND WANT TO HEAR BURNOUTS AT 4AM!!!!

I had a GREAT time this year while staying at the Chip! BUT,,,,,

I'm 40 yrs. old and if I had it to do all over again, I would have spent the extra cash and stayed somewhere (Hotel) in DEADWOOD!!

Read the lists of concerts at the respective campgrounds and buy one day passes for the ones you want.

Full Throttle is a MUST!!!!! And probably more than once!!!!

This year was my first and have alot of suggestions! PM me if you want to hear more!

Good luck!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

ok what exactly are you lokking for in a campground in Sturgis
Glencoe has great rates if you book before Feb 15th (well better than last year) titty alley is live and well / look for Big Popa and tell him I sent you (he is the guy with all the Mardigra beads)
Woody's place otherwise known as The Buffalo Chip has a Screaming Party ! and and awesome host band and Radio show (Charlie Bercthell Band) ( www.big7productions.com ) Charlie is a friend of mine
Lamphere is not to bad of a place next door to Glencoe
Wyatts Campground is a little more of the calmer side (CMA owned and ran)
Black Hill Campground (in Hill City area) a great place Biker owned and Biker ran (Tell Roger I sent you) steak dinner and breakfast served Cabins available (great people a Private camp)

What ever you do make sure you are in Sturgis @ the SideHack Saloon on Monday night opening week of the rally for the "Hazbeenz" get together from over at www.ride2sturgis.net

any other questions just ask as I am one of the silent promotors and I do Pr for the sturgis rally Biker benevolence fund www.sturgisfund.org

Old 11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I stayed at Custer State Park when I went a couple years ago. It's far enough away you can avoid the parties all night and close enough you can ride to Sturgis, Deadwood, Custer, Mt. Rushmore..... I road from Chicago area and camped along the way in a small tent I packed on the bike. I coordinated with the park in advance and UPS'ed a large tent, lawn chairs, and a bunch of stuff to make the stay comfortable. The rangers hauled the stuff to my camp site in their truck. At the end of the week, I boxed up the stuff and UPS'ed it back home. Any time I am planning on staying somepace more than a couple nights, I will try to have some comforts shipped there.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Wife and I rode to Sturgis in '94, took my parents along in their 5th wheel. They were our '**** vehicle' for the entire trip. We stayed three or four nights in a KOA outside of Rapid City. It was extremely overcrowded. I think they booked three or four times the 'normal' capacity for the site. Forget about taking a shower during 'normal hours'. And we took our laundry into town to find a laundramat because you could never use the one at the campground.

Next time, we get there a week before the event. Do all the riding (you will do hundreds of miles) seeing the sights-without the crowds. And Bro, there are lot's and lot's of people. Everywhere. This is a HUGE event. Hit Sturgis and Rapid City (HD sets up a decent thing there) at the start of the event for a day each, grab a patch and a T-shirt....Then boogie outta there.

Shipping your camping gear via UPS is a great idea. I like my 'comforts' too. Pay for the return at the same time, keep your boxes, and send it all home. Stay in motels on the ride to/from. You're probably gonna just hammer/hammer on the interstates for that part of the trip.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:17 AM
ltdan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rented a house in Deadwood, went with a group (10 all together). The house was 4,700 for the week, but only 470 each. It slept all of us with room to spare, had a great deck overlooking the town and we didn't have to eat out every meal. We were a block off the main drag in Deadwood, there was lots of bikes, bars and ***** within easy walking distance. I did see shuttle busses running to Sturgis and back. Lots of places on the web, it's a trip worth taking for sure.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 PM
MrMcCool
Tourer

Count me in as another looking for advise.

I'm more of the "sleep in a bed" kinda guy. Maybe that's what happens when you hit 40. I like the idea of Deadwood very much. Is there a reliable website that lists the hotels and houses for rent?

I was supposed to go this past year. I would have turned 40 on the road. I have been kicking myself in the **** everyday since not going.

I WILL GO IN 2007!

Old 11-09-2006, 03:21 PM
kgjl
Tourer

Part of the original question has been neglected. It is quite cool when the sun goes down. You will be in no need of AC at night. You will want warm sleeping bags. Go and have a great time. Take money, lots of money. KHILL

Old 11-09-2006, 03:34 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Planed to go back in 95 but trip fell thru, but we had rooms booked in rapid city for decent prices, I think it was around 20+ miles from there to Sturgis, someone can say for sure, only thing is we heard the traffic from there to the rally was heavy, Im hoping to go this year myself.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

oh I left out the place we stayed at on our Honeymoon
the Allen Ranch in Hotsprings you can get a Tee-Pee and stay far enough away from the mess of down town sturgis but it is a nice ride
up through the rest of the hills to get there
I found may way around the hills rather easy even took the long way from Sturgis through Rabid City back to Hotsprings to pick up my chase vehicle and trailer when we were leaving

the possibillitys are endless many of nice places to stay you could even stay in bedrock w/ Fred and Barney (Yabba daba dooooo)

Quick Reply: Surfin the net for a place to stay around Sturgis in 2007.