General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surfin the net for a place to stay around Sturgis in 2007.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Surfin the net for a place to stay around Sturgis in 2007.

ORIGINAL: SpeedsterX

NO TENTS or Campgrounds unless you are YOUNG, WILD AND WANT TO HEAR BURNOUTS AT 4AM!!!!

I had a GREAT time this year while staying at the Chip! BUT,,,,,

I'm 40 yrs. old and if I had it to do all over again, I would have spent the extra cash and stayed somewhere (Hotel) in DEADWOOD!!

Read the lists of concerts at the respective campgrounds and buy one day passes for the ones you want.

Full Throttle is a MUST!!!!! And probably more than once!!!!

This year was my first and have alot of suggestions! PM me if you want to hear more!

Good luck!!!
40 and you couldn't handle the Chip ???? You wuss.

There should be plenty of space at Glencoe this year due to the rate increase. Right now the frickin' early bird is going for $200.

Been three times now and stay at the Chip. I kind of like meeting the people there. I don't think the noise is too bad and I like to get up at 5:30 brew a pot of coffee then play Reveille as loud as the stereo on the Ultra will go. Pay back is a bitch.

Traffic thru Sturgis is getting out of hand and some of the roads in the hills are an adventure due to the numbers of bikes.

If you have a hankerin' for a bed and a regular room, you should get humpin' on it now as they go fast and the rates can be unbelievable.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:20 PM
800XC SP
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The last time I was out there was for the 04 rally and we stayed at a campground called Rush-No-More Campground, it was tame by Sturgis standards and because I had my wife that trip that's what I was looking for. They did have a kitchen that served breakfast, lunch & dinner, the food was good and the prices were not a rip off. They also had a bar that served beer that was open until midnight.
A couple of things I liked, it was far enough off the interstate where you didn't get the noise, there were trees, so there was shade, this was a campground year round not just a field someone is calling a campground for the rally and throwing up a few porto potties. They also had a pool and hot tob if that's your thing. If memory serves it was about 3 miles from downtown Sturgis.
Every place out there over books it seems to me so you have to choose your times to take showers, do laundry, etc. this place is no exception. All and all it was a decent place to stay...
As far as shuttles, they had this thing called Da Bus, it ran to all the major campgrounds including the one above and to downtown and the major bars. if your going to spend the whole week and use it alot I would recomend buying the unlimited ride wrist band right out of the box. They have a site on the web if there still running it.
As far as A/C goes I wouldn't worry about it, it cools down at night but you never know what to expect, in 04 it was probably the coldest week ever, I remember one night it got down to 32 at custer state park and the mid to upper 30's elsewhere for lows. There were a few days that it didn't get much above 60 for high's, that was a freak year though.
Your going to get a 100 different opinions on this as to what's best but here's my .02 from a 42 yr old guy and his 41 yr old wife.
Any other questions or you want to see pics of the campground my wife took a ton of everything when she was in sturgis so odd's are I have it.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Lpye
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to camp, I recommend the Rush No More Campground. Glenco is noisy, the showers and out houses suck. I have stayed at several places out there. My favorite was the Comfort Suites in Rapid City and the Rush No More Campgroung.