General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Surging when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 AM
mattk22
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Surging when stopping

So, when i pull to a stop sign my brakes release and grab, then release and grab, then release and grab. I do not have ABS, I only have 8K miles. The pads look fine, and I can't see any issues on the rotors (but that is hard to tell) Is it air in the line? it is just the front brakes. i have an 04 V-rod. Appreciate any input you guys have.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 AM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having the same issue on my 06 FLHX. I'm pretty sure it's warped rotors. Gonna be looking into replacement on mine.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 AM
avetter11
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt,

I have the exact same issue w/ my 04 Heritage. I went to my dealer and had them ride the bike and he said the disc is probably warped a little bit. I asked if he thought it was dangerous to ride it like that, he said no and unless it was really bothering me to just wait and have it fixed when I need a front tire.

I'm not sure how I feel about this because it (the surging) gets worse the harder I apply the front brake and I'm afraid in an emergency it could be a problem.

keep us updated if you find out for sure what is causing it.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:15 AM
mattk22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by avetter11
Matt,

I have the exact same issue w/ my 04 Heritage. I went to my dealer and had them ride the bike and he said the disc is probably warped a little bit. I asked if he thought it was dangerous to ride it like that, he said no and unless it was really bothering me to just wait and have it fixed when I need a front tire.

I'm not sure how I feel about this because it (the surging) gets worse the harder I apply the front brake and I'm afraid in an emergency it could be a problem.

keep us updated if you find out for sure what is causing it.
Same with me, mine gets worse the harder i brake. I need new tires at the end of the year, guess i will just have my rotors replaced too. I just can't believe it is a bad rotor after 8k miles. seems really quick to be that kinda issue.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I would think you would feel a rapid pulsating in the hand brake and foot brake when braking. Those wheels are spinning fast and you would feel the high spots as the pads are pushed open , forcing fluid back up and to the levers. When no warp you dont feel this because is smooth. I would think its possible that pads are maybe beginning to glaze or wash out when getting hot. With some pads they will brake good at first and when it reaches a certain temp will loose friction (wash out) then when cool back will regain its stopping power.

Who ever is experiancing this if you would post which pads you are using it may be an aftermarket pad your using you may see a trend with a particular pad.

Just my opinion

Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep. Warped rotor. Slow easy stops, just an annoyance, but it could be a real problem in a hard panic stop. I'd fix it NOW!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:28 AM
jimmydsmith7
2nd Gear

Have you pulled the brake calipers and checked them? Mine use to do the same thing, I pulled the calipers and found that one of the pistons was stuck on the left side caliper and there were 2 pistons on the same side on the right caliper stuck. Cleaned them real good with brake cleaner and a shoe lace. Made sure all of the pistons were extending, then put back together. Now they feel like brand new!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably is a warped rotor, but to be sure I would set up a dial indicator on the rotor and spin the wheel to check.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Texas T
Road Master

My front brake started doing that a while back, took it in and it was a warped front rotor, had a new one put on and no more problems

Old 07-17-2011, 10:11 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

My front was doing the same so I thought warped rotor then I changed the pads and noticed the pistons were un even. Cleaned the pistons and replaced the pads and all is good. Just saying don't condem the rotor yet.

Quick Reply: Brakes Surging when stopping