General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Surging when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,058 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Warped is the most likely problem but you occasionally get rotors with " hard spots " , when you get uneven hardness a rotor can run true and straight but will give that surging effect when braking . Real common in the cheaper aftermarket highly polished non floating rotors rolling around Ebay all the time .

Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Ah yep! All 09 and up Touring bikes will pulse when you use the rear brake when coming to a stop. It will start in the 30 or so range. Motor is on idle. Guess what the rubber mounted motor does when it is on idle. It SHAKES.

As the bike slows that shake is felt through the rear brake.

Yes a few rotors may become warped over time and cause a similar feel.

I have 5 HD's from 07 up none have ever had a warped rotor. My 10 Ultra will pulse from the rear brake when slowing and the engine at idle.
Well aren't you the lucky one.

ALL '09 and up ??? My '10 has ZERO pulse from either end when braking. And BTW, if I am running 30mph, My bike is NOT at idle. That would only happen if you are pulling the clutch in and not using any available engine braking to assist in stopping. I ride the **** out of mine. I don't baby them. I patronize 2 separate indys and both of them have have a pile of factory rotors big enough to use as a boat anchor for a battleship. They are JUNK!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM
AJRK1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this problem and solved my issue by doing a complete wash of the calipers and rotors first with soap and water then with brakecleen and a clean cloth. Do this procedure if your pads are good thickness and you do not need a brake job m

Old 07-26-2011, 05:14 AM
mattk22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AJRK1
I have had this problem and solved my issue by doing a complete wash of the calipers and rotors first with soap and water then with brakecleen and a clean cloth. Do this procedure if your pads are good thickness and you do not need a brake job m

Did you take your calipers off to do this?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM
edson443
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been 100 degrees plus here in Kansas the last few weeks. After I have been riding for about an hour or so I start to hear a low pitch squeak that sounds like a rusty hinge. The sound does not change with RPMs, and seems to be more associated with the speed of the bike. When I drop below 15mph is goes away. The way sound travels on the bike I can't tell if it is the brake rotors or the primary drive pulley. I loosened the drive belt earlier in the week and it is still making the noise. Has anyone else had this happen while riding in high heat? If the brake rotors are warped would the excessive heat cause them to squeak?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:26 AM
AJRK1
Advanced

Originally Posted by mattk22
Did you take your calipers off to do this?
Sorry for the long delay for reply bro.
No I did not remove the rotors, but I did make sure that the rotors were clean and the pads also. Clean the vent slots in the rotors and just make sure rotors,pads and rotors are clean. This will take some time but be patient and remember the brakecleen and the clean cloth wipe down at end. AJRK1

Old 08-20-2011, 01:03 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by mattk22
Same with me, mine gets worse the harder i brake. I need new tires at the end of the year, guess i will just have my rotors replaced too. I just can't believe it is a bad rotor after 8k miles. seems really quick to be that kinda issue.
More so how they're treated than the miles causes warping

Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 AM
avetter11
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I would pass along the results of my stop @ an indy shop yesterday.

I stopped in and told the mech about how my brakes were surging and wobbling the front end upon hard braking of the front brake. Told him I thought maybe the rotor was warped. He asked how much the brake lever was twitching when applied, and I said not at all. He asked to ride it and off he went.

When he got back and kind of scratched and shook his head and said he didn't think it felt like the rotor, but wanted to check a couple of things. He got me right in ( I love Indies) and the first thing he did was to feel under the back panel around the upper shock tube and said yep, the shock was coming apart. He had me feel and I could feel a space between the tube and triple tree. He said that was the third one in the last month.

Turned out to be a broken pinch bolt on the left side. 45 minutes and $31 later off we went with the front end feeling like brand new. I went in ready to order a new rotor and pads so was thrilled when I ended up paying a buck in parts and 1/2 hour labor.

Indy wrenches are rare in my area so I'm very happy I found a good one. And I hope maybe this post can help someone else with the same symptoms actually FIX the problem or at least there's one more thing to check when diagnosing a front braking surge, and/or wobble.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the shop was Jacks Harley repair in Effingham IL. Thanks Jack!

Last edited by avetter11; 09-16-2011 at 09:08 AM.