General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My V&H pipes suck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 PM
ZJAvy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My V&H pipes suck!!!!

I watch you all rave over your V&H pipes and go um WTF is wrong with mine!!!???!!!!

First off the front muffler (not the header) started turning brownish on the chrome. I tried cleaning it, nope nothing, it was the chrome discoloring. ON THE MUFFLER!!! Its like 3 feet from the darn exhaust outlet from the motor, so I did what any good consumer would do and called V&H and asked them about it. The response.......too bad we dont cover our chrome and hung up on me. Now that was awesome customer service. The discoloring got so bad I chose to pull the pipes off and wrap them from engine all the way to the muffler, leaving the ends exposed and chrome showing, I mean hell they were basically ruined anyhow. I pull my back header out of the engine and the cap on the end of the pipe that is supposed to be rivet welded to the header had fallen off. That is the only thing that causes the flange to hold the pipe to the motor. Ya so needless to say no idea how I didnt have an exhaust leak yet. So tomorrow I either get to spend a buttload of money on new pipes or go drill out some holes on the cap and rivet weld the cap back on and grind it smooth hoping for no exhaust leak. Needless to say I will never buy a product from V&H again! If i need to buy new pipes tomorrow Im going to have to tell my wife that those are her birthday presents, Im guessing thats not going to go over very well.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:00 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My V&H pipes suck!!!!

Well --- there's your problem! They suck! They're supposed to BLOW!!!!!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

dont really hear too many fit/finish complaints with V&H pipes... sucks

Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 PM
iwant1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer

Samsons are looking pretty good right now !!!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:07 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

YO MAN, THAT BLOWS. I bought my vance and hines second hand, and haven't had a bit of a problem with em. They have heat shields almost all the way around, so I get no blueing. If I were to take them of and look at them from the back, I would see the discolored pipe, but the heat shields cover all of that purposely. As far as loosing the rivet or whatever it may be, the studs that come out of the cylinders are replaceable and you can get them at the dealer, but I don't think that is what you are talking about. I'm still unclear on what all that grinding and welding is for...Anyway, I wish it all to end well for you. I found vance and hines to have excellent customer service for anything I have needed which was a hardware kit for my pipes that they gave me for FREE. If you get other pipes, make sure they have full length heat shields so you won't have to worry about the blueing.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:10 PM
xmeter
Tourer

Kinda makes me wonder...I just ordered a set of Vance and Hines today. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you don't have heat shields, but then again they are pretty ugly without shields.

Maybe they are knock-offs? Did you get them from a reliable source?

I'd bet that V&H will honor the faulty flare at the end. You are speaking of the flared piece at the end that the circlip hangs onto right?

Heck, i told them I lost some parts and wanted to buy them, they sent em free overnight!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Brett, what is the model name of the pipes that you had trouble with? Are they the "Staggered Duals"??

Old 11-08-2006, 11:15 PM
20FXST06
Road Captain

That's really unusual!! I sold these pipes for Eastern Performance Cycles for about 1 1/2 years. I never had a problem with their customer service. They were very responsive to all our complaints regarding their products. How old are the pipes?? You didn't mention that. Also I would contact the company you originally bought the exhaust from and ask them to contact V&H on your behalf. Most times the dealer of their exhaust can make it happen for you. Also give the company the guys name that you talked to. Keep us informed. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:27 PM
ENZOTHEBAKER
Tourer

Hey Brett,

I feel ya. Had the same problem with V H crappy service. My Longshots blued from day one and made my Deluxe look like crap. I got some new pipes that I'm putting on soon and have no use for the longs anymore. They are blue at the muffler/header junction but you will be able to get them right with that blue gone crap that HD sells at their stores. If you want them they are yours. Pay for the shipping and Ill send them off asap. Let me know.

Quick Reply: My V&H pipes suck!!!!