General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My V&H pipes suck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:35 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My V&H pipes suck!!!!

Your pipes look like straightshots to me, which is what I have on my bike. I love em and have had no blueing issues. Sounds like your bike is running too hot if they are blueing beyond the heat sheild. Sorry you are having problems with them, they look good on your bike.

Rick

Old 11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a set of V&H 2in1s, before they started adding a heat shield to cover the junction. They were on the bike when I bought it, and the discolored muffler apparently has something to do with the baffle (or so I've read). I like the performance and sound from theses pipes, but yellow and blue don't go with my overall theme for the bike, so this winter I'm having them jet-coated black.

Sad to spend so much money on something from a reputable manufacterer only to have one of the reasons for buying it (good looking chrome to complement the bike) turn out to be a "we don't warranty that because they looked okay when you bought them and that's all we care about" thing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9230/5916392EF1BA488F91AAA554B7089087.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-09-2006, 12:38 PM
ZJAvy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats just it, its not blueing on the muffler (it reminds me of something being cooked onto it), the bike isnt running hot. Ive had it checked out. Here is the crazy thing, when I originally wrapped them I left the first 8 inches off the engine exposed to show off the blueing.
Damn things would barely blue, when I took the heat shields off they had barely discolored under there. Anyhow the weld coming undone was what sucked the most. I had everything else taken care of WT or IE style, now I gotta go to a buddys shop because I dont have a welder, otherwise it woulda been fixed last night. DAMN YOU V&H!!!! hahaha

Old 11-09-2006, 04:14 PM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior

Sorry bout V&H being azz wholes

But do you got a pic of the bike with the Pipes wrapped

Old 11-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Steeltown
Tourer

I would check two things, inside your pipe...is there some fairly major deposits, and your plugs.

It is very normal for your header pipes to turn blue, but the heat should be dissapated by the time they raech the muffler. this is 9 times outta ten a sign that the bike needs to be serviced.

You may be the exception, but I gotta tell ya it's the first time I have ever heard of V&H pipes doing this

Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZJAvy

Alien, they are the staggered duals I think. The blueing is past the heat shields. The heat shields did their job but the blueing is on the double walled muffler part on the second half of the pipe where they shouldnt and thats the thing, its not blueing its almost like they are rusting.
Sorry to hear that man! I just took my Staggered Duals off for the same exact reason.

I ended up with the Big Radius pipes which have 100% heat chield coverage. I went with the V&H pipes again because the wife absolutly loved the style and..........the heat shields. I also had a PCIII installed. Between the two, I can't believe how good the bike is running!

Anybody want to buy some V&H Staggered Duals cheep? Their cluttering up my garage! [:@]

Old 11-09-2006, 05:49 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

my big radius' are doing nicely. No bluing even tho the bike runs hot (they 'tink' for a long time after a ride)

Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
FLSTC
Advanced

I have the same problem with a set of long shots. The muffler for the rear cylinder turns a rust color in front of the baffle. Two different shops have checked the tune, NPF. Replaced the first muffler & the second one did the same thing.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:53 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

picts of this ??

Old 11-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated

I have V&H Big Shot true duals on my 06 Ultra and I love them. I have no problems with them, Look great and sound fantastic. Also had SE racing tuner done.

Quick Reply: My V&H pipes suck!!!!