General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley needs to bring back some of the "Standard" bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by osirisdean
i agree with Very High Plain Drifter: having entry level or otherwise "cheaper" harleys dilutes the prestige of owning one. whether the prestige is real, imaginary, or manufactured by HD in one of the best ad campaigns this country has ever seen is irrelevant.
Nah, the whole standard thing was marketing GENIUS, take a 13-14k bike strip off all the chrome, through in a plain jane engine and sell it for $12-13K. Now to make that bike look like last years $13-14K bike you have to spend $4-5K more. SO an EXTRA profit of $3-4K for the same bike.

They did similar with the ever popular Street Glide, it's pretty much a standard, lowered, strip off the trim, add a radio and some plastic filler panels and the ADD $4-5k to the price, flippin' BRILLANT!!! Marketing genius!

Dark customs - you think black cost the same as chrome???? GENIUS!!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 AM
toxicstang99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by osirisdean
i agree with Very High Plain Drifter: having entry level or otherwise "cheaper" harleys dilutes the prestige of owning one. whether the prestige is real, imaginary, or manufactured by HD in one of the best ad campaigns this country has ever seen is irrelevant. the general public associates exclusivity with quality on a psychological level.

a great example of this in another industry is Apple. simple beginnings, but unyielding in terms of offering only highly polished, relatively expensive products. steve jobs, like him or hate him, knew exactly what he was doing. it's not an accident that there is only one version of the iphone (as opposed to the myriad android phones available, e.g.). and theres a reason the ipod is practically synonymous with "mp3 player" now. just like Harley Davidson, Apple has cultivated an idea among consumers that their products are expensive, but worth it in terms of quality and/or exclusivity. releasing downgraded but more affordable products just doesnt work in that business model.
I think you have it dead on here. I'm a Mac user, but for the longest time I was anti Mac. Then one friend got one, and another, and another. All along the way trying to convince me that it was the best thing to do. Finally the bug bit me, now my family has 2 macbooks, and in the combined 5 years (3 years for one, 2 for the other) we have owned both of them, they have NEVER given us any issues. I certainly can't say the same for the 2 HP's we own nore the Dell desktop I have that is collecting dust.

As for the "prestige" what about the return on investment? I've owned 6 bikes and still currently own 2 of them, and none of them hold value to that of a Harley. Now which bike out there other than a Harley, can you buy for lets say 18K MSRP, ride for a couple years putting around 6,5K miles, and the blue book on it is $16,3K. It seems to be pretty much across the board for Harleys too. Not only that, but for most riders (of ANY type of bike) there is no after market availability like there is for a Harley, both newer and ESPECIALLY old.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:40 PM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stash905
Spoken by someone that obviously has lots of expendable cash money and is just a RUB. You can buy any toy you want, but some true biker who doesn't have the cash should be locked out because you want your "prestige"? Give me a freakin' break and go ride in your Mercedes with your nose stuck up in the air.
whoa.

i think youre misunderstanding him, and by extension me, since i agreed with him. i cant speak for VHPD, so i will speak for myself:

i personally do not put Harley (or any other brand, for that matter) on a pedestal. it is just an object, a toy. simply buying one does not make me a better person, or a "real" biker or whatever. the exclusivity and prestige i mentioned are marketing hype created by Harley Davidson MOCO to increase demand for their product, and to insinuate that their product is worth the (arguably high) price you pay for it. releasing "lesser" products is counterproductive to the image they are trying to cultivate. that's all i (and i assume VHPD) was trying to say. no one's trying to imply that you're not a "real" biker unless you can afford a "real" bike, or anything like that. (though i am insinuating that HD MOCO would like you to believe that. that's just great marketing.)

you seem be reacting as if VHPD's post said "i bought a prestigious elite product, and anything less is not prestigious or elite." (which would be a personal boast.) but i think what he said was more like: "harley wants you to think you are buying a prestigious, elite product." (which is just a statement of fact.)

hope that helps clarify a bit.