General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a Sportster to Siberia and Back

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:25 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
Well, if you want to get THAT picky then there was this dude that puts him to shame.

Ewan and Charlie met him in 'Long Way Down'. He had been riding his bicycle around the world for ten years with no support crew.
Haha! That's awesome!

But I figure it'd be harder to repair a Harley in the middle of Russia with minimal tools and no access to "Genuine Harley Parts". Bicycles can be repaired anywhere with anything!

Plus, you don't get all the awesome border stories such as the now infamous "What bike number?"!

Still, very cool!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g/P1030396.jpg
Today, the first Harley Davidson has made it to Magadan, in NE Russia.
BMW GS riders worldwide groaned in disbelief, as they watched the drama unfold on laptop computers from the relative safety of their local Starbucks.
When asked how he felt after reaching the end of the Road of Bones, Doug replied
“I’m wore out like a 2 dollar ***** on nickel night!”
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...81994&page=103
He made it! Doug is the man. Been following him for a while now. As someone else mentioned, another good spot to read about his adventures is at his own website (well, his girlfriends) at motosapiens.org. That way you don't have to deal with all the beemer dudes at avrider.

Also note that the it didn't take long for someone else to copy his "Dirtster", as I saw one at Sturgis a couple of weeks ago. It was an exact copy, complete with the box saddle bags and KTM front end, etc. I glanced at it and about fell over, because I knew Doug was in Russia. Upon closer inspection it was clear it wasn't his bike, but a good copy. Of course, it didn't have the sticker that all of Doug's bikes have "Touch my motorcycle and I'll kill you and butt-fck your corpse!" lol

There's a good article in American Iron magazine a couple months ago about the "Dirtster" (2003 Sportster 1200, coverted into basically a duel sport dirt bike). Also on motosapiens.org Doug goes into the detail of the build, along with all his other builds and bike prep for his trips. Very cool stuff.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:37 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Haha! That's awesome!

But I figure it'd be harder to repair a Harley in the middle of Russia with minimal tools and no access to "Genuine Harley Parts". Bicycles can be repaired anywhere with anything!

Plus, you don't get all the awesome border stories such as the now infamous "What bike number?"!

Still, very cool!
So can older harleys I've got 30 + yrs and well over 500,000 miles on them to prove it , you guys ( and girls ) have been brainwashed with the newer bikes the last 12 years because they are that delicate and parts dedicated . Sometimes newer isn't better in the real world outside our stateside box .

Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
So can older harleys I've got 30 + yrs and well over 500,000 miles on them to prove it , you guys ( and girls ) have been brainwashed with the newer bikes the last 12 years because they are that delicate and parts dedicated . Sometimes newer isn't better in the real world outside our stateside box .
I can understand that mentality with regards to being in the States, but reading through Doug's threads you see how difficult some of the repairs get. Not on a technical level, just having to MacGuyver a solution. Some of the gear that people use to help him is pre-WW2 tools.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:02 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
I can understand that mentality with regards to being in the States, but reading through Doug's threads you see how difficult some of the repairs get. Not on a technical level, just having to MacGuyver a solution. Some of the gear that people use to help him is pre-WW2 tools.
In Mongolia I saw guys welding with what had to be an ancient big *** Neon sign transformer using a colored bottle as as a lens , gets pretty crude out there seen some of it first hand up close . That's the juice of it for me , watching human nature and a need morph into a solution for a problem . This country was founded and became great on that spirit and we,re losing more of it everyday , hell I wonder if the next generation will even know how to change a flat tire the way things are going .

Russia is a whole other world when you get out the few big cities they have , I loved the county side and the people I met . They were warm giving , quick with a smile and shared what little they had language wasn't a big barrier at all . Talk about hardy and self sufficient , the average American is a total idiot by comparison outside of the real ranch living people in big open range states they have the same grit I guess you can call it .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-22-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
In Mongolia I saw guys welding with what had to be an ancient big *** Neon sign transformer using a colored bottle as as a lens , gets pretty crude out there seen some of it first hand up close . That's the juice of it for me , watching human nature and a need morph into a solution for a problem . This country was founded and became great on that spirit and we,re losing more of it everyday , hell I wonder if the next generation will even know how to change a flat tire the way things are going .
Yep, that's pretty much 90% of Doug's repair stories right there!

I understand what you mean. Ever since the wonderful idea of NAFTA we have lost much of our tradesmen. We are turning into a country of managers with no skill set to bring the manufacturing heart of America back!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Human nature needs a challenge to really shine and we can be some creative creatures when needed . Please pardon my language but Americans are becoming fatter limp wristed pussies more so by the day and all my off the beaten path travels have just re-enforced that belief .