General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

National Geographic TV Special: Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default RE: National Geographic TV Special: Sturgis

I've seen it before. Neat to watch. After watching it once with my wife, she looked at me and said she wasn't sure she wanted me going up there w/o her!

wolf, the problem with showing the darker side is that some liberal wacko would then start trying to ban it, saying it's 'evil', or 'think of the children', or some such nonsense.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:15 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Seen it...The next thing is to go for myself...

Old 11-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's been on a couple times. Very good show. The Wall of Death looks pretty cool, lot of interesting things going on. People and bikers from all walks of life, tats/peircings, etc. I just wish they'd actually show some of the darker side of Sturgis, if it's going to be a true documentary they need to cover all sides, not just make a promotional video for HD and Sturgis.
This must be the show where they're using the HA/tattoo artist as a tour guide. He's pointing out all the different models of motorcycles and when he gets to a Road King he says that is the bike of choice for traveling 800-1,000 miles a day. I don't want to ride that far even in my cage, who is he kidding. I know there are some iron butt riders out there but he made it sound like it's a walk in the park on a RK.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:12 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when he gets to a Road King he says that is the bike of choice for traveling 800-1,000 miles a day. I don't want to ride that far even in my cage, who is he kidding. I know there are some iron butt riders out there but he made it sound like it's a walk in the park on a RK.
Yeah, I disagree with that statement as well.

I much more prefer the Ultra Classic or the Heritage Classic.

I have got to find someone to tape this thing for me.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:44 PM
wolf1477
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy
wolf, the problem with showing the darker side is that some liberal wacko would then start trying to ban it, saying it's 'evil', or 'think of the children', or some such nonsense.
Good point, god forbid someone see something on TV that they may not agree with and let it slide. Same problem I have with stereotypes, stereotypically 40% of 'em are at least partly wrong and the other 60% are just plain ignorant. How many rallies, parties, etc have been cancelled this year just because people *think* something bad may happen....even tho nothing ever had in the past?

It just doesn't seem like an actual documentary to me tho without seeing the *whole* picture. Hell, I wonder how many people are gonna go out there and get thier *** handed to 'em because they saw this and thought "Cool!" and figured Sturgis was all warm and fuzzy.

Watching that show prolly has half the overeducated out there thinking HA are all really cool guys that do tattooing and guided tours on the side<g>

Wolf, I think I must be too cynical