General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of Helmet Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Couple of Helmet Questions

I got my new Vega XTS naked flat black Helmet via the FedX man this morning. Not a bad helmet as far as helmets go. I have a couple of questions maybe somebody can help me with?

I was wondering if anybody can tell me what the tiny red strap on the buckle is for?

Also, I know that some have installed a quick release buckle which is what I'm going to do. They also modified the excess strap to keep it from flopping around in the breeze, without cutting the strap? Some type of velcro loop is used. In 2008 there was a thread that had pics of the mod, but the pics are long since gone. Any advice, suggestions, or better yet pics would be most appreciated.

Its funny that after 35 + years riding motorcycles, I know so little about helmets. I think this may be my first new DOT helmet since my childhood dirt riding days! Scary!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
wwNightster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it retains the excess strap after you buckle the helmet on.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by wwNightster
it retains the excess strap after you buckle the helmet on.
OK, I'm sorry I am really dense on this one. What am I missing? How the heck does that little tiny strap retain the excess? It's not elastic and doesn't stretch. Sorry, really clueless on this one.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when the helmet is on and strap secure, you can grab that and pull it down and this loosens the strap.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by orangevette
when the helmet is on and strap secure, you can grab that and pull it down and this loosens the strap.
That makes sense. I tried it and that works. Thanks

Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Any ideas or examples of slack helmet strap storage without cutting? Thanks again.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:59 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Run a couple of stitches through it.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

I did the velcro mod. I'll look at home to see if I sill have the pics. What I did was sew a strip of the loop side (2" piece) onto the strap that's under my chin, up towards my right ear. I added a 1" patch of the soft velcro side to the end of the strap on it's inside when pulled tight. Pull it tight & stick it to the loop side under the chin. Done.

Last edited by golfblues; 07-15-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:32 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

I know you said you don't want to cut it and I used to be reluctant to do that. But now if I get a helmet with excess strap I just cut it and fuse the end with heat. If my head gets so big that the strap is too short I've got bigger problems than just a helmet.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by golfblues
I did the velcro mod. I'll look at home to see if I sill have the pics. What I did was sew a strip of the loop side (2" piece) onto the strap that's under my chin, up towards my right ear. I added a 1" patch of the soft velco side to the end of the strap on it's inside when pulled tight. Pull it tight & stick it to the loop side under the chin. Done.
You were the one that I was referring to I believe? You posted some pics of your mods back in 08 if I am not mistaken? I was thinking about just cutting the strap as mentioned since I will be using a quick disconnect. Or just folding it up and stitching it out of the way? However, I Don't wan't to give the man one more single reason to pop me for a helmet violation. Its getting tooooo expensive. It would be just my luck, that the state of Vermont would have a minimum strap length statute as well, to go along with the four square inches of reflective material statute???

Quick Reply: Couple of Helmet Questions