General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went down, knee busted open to the bone, can't afford towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coiledup
The towing company can't sell his bike to cover cost's until they become the lien holder of the vehicle. Depending on the value of said vehicle, this process can take a few weeks to several months to accomplish. They start the process after a vehicle come's into their possession. If there is a loan on the bike, the paperwork has to go through the lenders office, and if it is a bank they usually pick up the vehicle and try and recoup there money at auction. Again this process can takes weeks to happen. All the fees that are charged in this situation were contracted by the city your accident happened in. Not made up by the towing company. Been in the towing and recovery industry for half my life, and have seen it all. The sooner you get the vehicle out of the towing co's possession, the sooner the charges will stop. Maybe see if you can get them to take it to a body shop. To see what it will take to fix any damages. Most body shops will pay the towing and storage fees to get a shot a fixing the vehicle. And most don't charge storage fees while they have your vehicle. Search around for a reputable shop and call them and tell them where your scoot is and ask them to get it and give you an estimate. Your already behind, by not having road service. Just trying to lessen the cost's for you. Good luck.

Fact... They are using an empty threat.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Dave2261
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Here's something to cheer you up. If you think the towing fee is high, wait till you get the ambulance and hospital bills.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
meatsack
Banned

Sorry to hear about the wreck and injury.

As to the towing company...nice...stick it to a guy when he's down. Damn thieves...

Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of the main reasons I highly suggest the HOG roadside assistance/towing insurance coverage or roadside/towing insurance added to your existing motorcycle policy....It's much cheaper than paying the overpriced towing the police will do for you!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by harlot
anyway, I'm going to try and talk to them, hopefully they give some sympathy to a struggling 22 yr old student.
Maybe it's the father in me, but somehow "22 yr old struggling student" and "Harley-Davidson" don't seem like they belong in the same sentence. My son is 25 and if he was struggling to the point that he was under-insured or couldn't afford a few hundred dollars in the event of a very real possibility (bike accident), my advice would be to sell the Harley!
Seriously, you're kind of living on the edge and it sounds like you need to get your priorities straight. If you have to ride, then maybe pick up a less expensive bike that you can afford full coverage on.

Good luck with your recovery.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call Progressive. They should handle all the towing mess including getting it out of the tow companies yard. Start there. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Timco
Club Member

Yea, I deal with this on a daily basis. It`s always my fault that you wrecked, parked where you shouldn`t have, got taken to jail for DWI or improper license/insurance...etc, etc, etc. It is ALWAYS the towing companies fault that anything bad happens to you...& they should just give you back your vehicle for no charge.

Bullshit. I`m sorry you got hurt, but it is NOT the towing companies fault. Be a man, & pay your bill. Why not get the hospital & ambulance to work for free too?

Yep, I am one of those thieving bastards that owns a towing company, & I have employees to pay, insurance to pay, utilities to pay, truck payments to pay, mortage payments to pay, fuel to pay for....& the list goes on. Profit is NOT a dirty word, & I can not allow your problems to become my problems.

Most insurance companies have a towing rider you can purchase for just a few dollars a year. I have it on my mother`s car, & it costs less than 10 bucks a year. No excuse for anyone to be with out it.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:35 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Timco
Yea, I deal with this on a daily basis. It`s always my fault that you wrecked, parked where you shouldn`t have, got taken to jail for DWI or improper license/insurance...etc, etc, etc. It is ALWAYS the towing companies fault that anything bad happens to you...& they should just give you back your vehicle for no charge.

Bullshit. I`m sorry you got hurt, but it is NOT the towing companies fault. Be a man, & pay your bill. Why not get the hospital & ambulance to work for free too?

Yep, I am one of those thieving bastards that owns a towing company, & I have employees to pay, insurance to pay, utilities to pay, truck payments to pay, mortage payments to pay, fuel to pay for....& the list goes on. Profit is NOT a dirty word, & I can not allow your problems to become my problems.

Most insurance companies have a towing rider you can purchase for just a few dollars a year. I have it on my mother`s car, & it costs less than 10 bucks a year. No excuse for anyone to be with out it.
Heheheh, there ya' go! It amazes me how many grown adults don't to want to accept responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harlot
so I went down tonight...
tow company...said that it's gonna cost me 285 plus tax to get my bike.

I can't afford it...
Dude, sorry about your wreck, but you can't afford NOT to PU the bike right away! Learn from this cheap lesson that it is just plain foolish to:

a) have insufficient insurance coverage.

b) let someone else take care of your bike problem.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM
BRW
Tourer

Check with your cell phone co. I have roadside assistance on my phone with Verizon

Quick Reply: went down, knee busted open to the bone, can't afford towing