General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went down, knee busted open to the bone, can't afford towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGeek
Just ask the towing company for help....they may work with you. Heal quick!
Originally Posted by Crex39
As hard as it is to be polite and nice when they are raping you with storage fees, they will usually work with you if you are civil with them during negotiations.
Good advice..

Old 07-12-2011, 06:54 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I fail to understand why the tow bill is so high, did they have to clean up a lot of debris? When we worked a 911 call we had a set amount we could charge (per location, in town was $45.00 plus clean up, county was $85.00 plus clean up) and storage could not amount to over $8.00 a day.
If you can charge whatever you want now, then it might be time to get back into the wrecker business.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
I fail to understand why the tow bill is so high, did they have to clean up a lot of debris? When we worked a 911 call we had a set amount we could charge (per location, in town was $45.00 plus clean up, county was $85.00 plus clean up)
In Cali it's normal to see broken glass,plastic and body parts all over the sides of the road!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Wothout a doubt, talk qith the towing company and see if they can take collateral of something as when their storage fees kick in, bill will go up quickly

Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Positive always wins over negative...heal well & try to work w/tow company on re-claiming bike. They might have some type of payment plan...if not, time to hit up friends/family for some cash to get bike out of hock. Definitely don't want it going to auction.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 AM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

just woke up, feeling sore, but spirits not beaten down otherwise. gonna take my gf to the msf course right now (ironic). I was actually picking up her up when this happened.

so I got one of my brothers from the mc to get his truck to pick up the bike from the tow company. I understand I need to be there to prevent against theft?

anyway, I'm going to try and talk to them, hopefully they give some sympathy to a struggling 22 yr old student.

I actually h ave prog insurance, but it's really basic and only comprehensive coverage. no collision.

thanks for the replies!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Good luck

Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 AM
coiledup
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The towing company can't sell his bike to cover cost's until they become the lien holder of the vehicle. Depending on the value of said vehicle, this process can take a few weeks to several months to accomplish. They start the process after a vehicle come's into their possession. If there is a loan on the bike, the paperwork has to go through the lenders office, and if it is a bank they usually pick up the vehicle and try and recoup there money at auction. Again this process can takes weeks to happen. All the fees that are charged in this situation were contracted by the city your accident happened in. Not made up by the towing company. Been in the towing and recovery industry for half my life, and have seen it all. The sooner you get the vehicle out of the towing co's possession, the sooner the charges will stop. Maybe see if you can get them to take it to a body shop. To see what it will take to fix any damages. Most body shops will pay the towing and storage fees to get a shot a fixing the vehicle. And most don't charge storage fees while they have your vehicle. Search around for a reputable shop and call them and tell them where your scoot is and ask them to get it and give you an estimate. Your already behind, by not having road service. Just trying to lessen the cost's for you. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Good luck with your bike. Hope they work with you and you get her out. Heal fast!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really sucks. If you have Collision coverage on the bike the tow would be covered under the policy.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: went down, knee busted open to the bone, can't afford towing