General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

killed a dog with the dyna....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Account Retired
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I swerve at raccoons back home, but then I hit one one time. Lucky it was on a $250 moped

Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM
len_atwork
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully the owner has learned to keep the remaining dog out of traffic so you don't wind up doing it again tomorrow or the next day.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey man, you did what you could and then some. Glad you are OK.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had just slowed and ridden on through you probably wouldn't have collided. You never know what move a dog or squirrel is going to make next. Glad you're ok.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by csbreeze
I wrecked a car dodging a dog. I will not wreck a bike if I can help it. In my MSF course they taught us how to hit dogs and live through it.

I love animals and the dog at my feet but the dog made its choice. Bad choice but a choice. If you didn't hit it someone else would have.
Originally Posted by meatsack
Share please...

My MSF surely didn't teach me how to hit a dog and survive.

Since dogs tend to want to "chase" a bike....and by chase, they find the point of intersection and head towards it, we were taught to downshift into a lower gear, and as we approach the intersection point, to gun the throttle and swerve in the opposite direction of the pursuing dog. This will disrupt the intersection point and time and will throw off the dogs timing.

If needed, a quick horn blast may also disorient the dog enough to make a clean get away.

I have kicked a dog before since it decided to come out at me in my blind spot while turning....but that is all I could do to avoid hitting it and going down.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:34 PM
meatsack
Banned

Originally Posted by FatBoyVeteran

Since dogs tend to want to "chase" a bike....and by chase, they find the point of intersection and head towards it, we were taught to downshift into a lower gear, and as we approach the intersection point, to gun the throttle and swerve in the opposite direction of the pursuing dog. This will disrupt the intersection point and time and will throw off the dogs timing.
Exactly as I was taught at MSF class.

I still curious to hear the "how to hit a dog and survive" story from the guy who said they taught it.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:34 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FatBoyVeteran

If needed, a quick horn blast may also disorient the dog enough to make a clean get away.

I have kicked a dog before since it decided to come out at me in my blind spot while turning....but that is all I could do to avoid hitting it and going down.
Your not far from Greensboro, NC. If the retired motorcycle State Trooper is still teaching the class he could give you a refresher class at the Jamestown, NC campus of Guilford Tech Community College also known as GTCC. I took it in 2006.

There is a salvage yard down the street from the entrance of the Jamestown campus where the owner had 3 bad dogs. The retired State Troop that turned Guilford County Police Dept motorcycle deputy, the head instructor, and his assistant killed all 3 dogs in the highway with their motorcycles. Reason for the action was the dogs came close to causing wrecks with their students. It was legal the retired Trooper stated and he taught us what to do if you can not get around the dog. if you like PM me and I will help you with the process. I am shocked your MSF course didn't teach you how to hit a dog and survive.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
meatsack
Banned

Originally Posted by csbreeze
. if you like PM me and I will help you with the process. .
Why the secrecy? Post it up...

Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 PM
foxtrot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 6speed51
I didn't know it was open season on dogs.Is there a bow season too?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:40 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by meatsack
Exactly as I was taught at MSF class.

I still curious to hear the "how to hit a dog and survive" story from the guy who said they taught it.
The retired State Trooper now Guilford County Deputy as of 2006 said this,

As the previous person stated try to miss them but if you must hit them....

1) Try to hit the animal going straight not turning
2) Center mass of the animal if you can while going straight as to try to keep the bike as even as possible
3) Throttle up till your front tire hits the animal then let off the throttle so your back wheel will not spin and possibly tip you over. The throttle up till you hit the animal with your front tire will hopefully give you the momentum and force needed to keep your balance.
4) Just like when you road over the 2 by 4 lift off the seat a little with your butt

That was his instructions

Last edited by csbreeze; 07-11-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: killed a dog with the dyna....