General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine making noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Quincy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine making noise

We have 1 "98 Road King, I put Slick 50 in it and the wrong oil, I road it about 20 miles and when I let off of it it backfired through the carburator and the oil light came on. After it sat for several weeks I started it up, the oil light was off so I changed the oil again with the right kind now it makes a noise in the front jug and the whole bike vibrates, Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Quincy
We have 1 "98 Road King, I put Slick 50 in it and the wrong oil, I road it about 20 miles and when I let off of it it backfired through the carburator and the oil light came on. After it sat for several weeks I started it up, the oil light was off so I changed the oil again with the right kind now it makes a noise in the front jug and the whole bike vibrates, Any suggestions as to what it might be?
Define what you mean by "wrong oil"

WIth Slick 50 and any kind of engine oil riding it 20 miles shouldn't have done it any harm.

If the engine is making noise and the whole bike vibrates, I would say relax, sounds like it's back to normal.

Seriously though, what ever the problem is, I doubt if it was caused by the oil in 20 miles.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Quincy
Stage IV

I put regular motor oil in it instead of diesel oil I'm thinking the 1st cylinder isn't hitting at the right time, it didn't vibrate this bad before somethings definitely not right

Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Nothing posted makes any sense to me. Just go buy a new bike and your problems will be over or just started.

Diesel oil, car motor oil, motorcycle oil and slick 50 would have nothing in the world to do with ignition timing being off at all. Nor would there be any metal to metal damage in the engine at a 1000 miles let alone 20.

What are you smoking, snorting, drinking or shooting?

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-10-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:21 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

20 miles on regular motor oil is not going to cause an issue. Guys use it everyday. Are you sure your imagination is not running wild?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Quincy
Stage IV

ok, well I thought this was a place I might be able to get some help apparently not sorry to bother you

Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 PM
moonsfmc
Cruiser

i would pull the front plug out and check it could be fouled out maybe just bad timing on when it fouled out. just a thought.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, I'll start over and welcome you to the forums. Posting in the General Harley chat is not the best place to ask model specific questions. There are other sub forums for touring, technical help for engines and DIY forums. You'll find some of the most helpful people and information on this site.
Post up as much info as u can, in regards to mileage, motor work, mods, how long you have owned the bike. The more specific you can be, the better others can help you diagnose the issue.
And my first guess would be what Moon said, a fouled plug....

Old 07-10-2011, 11:46 PM
klbjoc
Intermediate

Troll?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Repost your question down in the EVO section with as much information as you can and you should get lots of help.

Are you sure it was the oil light that came on and not the "check engine" light? You may have put too much oil in it (it should take 4 quarts). If you did you could have fouled a plug.

Quick Reply: Engine making noise