General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine making noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Quincy
ok, well I thought this was a place I might be able to get some help apparently not sorry to bother you
This is a very helpful place. What you need to do is to try and clarify and break down your issues. The post is confusing in that you mention oil, then something that seems to relate to ignition timing? Using an automobile oil in your bike is not going to damage it, paticularly not in 20 miles. There just seems to be some missing pieces here?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Ed Vanharley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drain the oil, then add 1 Qt of Dawn Soap mixed with 3 qts of water, ride bike for 30 minutes, that should clean it out, then flush with water and fill with WD-40 its the only oil I run with

Last edited by Ed Vanharley; 07-14-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 AM
rkgreen
Intermediate

I agree too, on the sparkplug, put in new ones.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Quincy
Stage IV

thanks for the suggestions will let you know what happens, sorry I posted in the wrong forum guess I need to search around in here a little more

Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,026 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Some one said Slick 50 had some type of teflon or something in it that could stop up small micron oil filter. Not a clue to that since I have never used additives. Why bother. 47 years of cars, motorcycles, boats ect... and never needed to. Do all my own work and been in many motors. Change your filter and put recommend oil. I use to use diesel grade oil in my bike all the time. I just use the Harley Syn3 now and with less then 5K a year do not change it but ever couple years. Have no problem with engine at 40K. Run year round and hot as they run moisture is not a problem. With a carb you need to change at least ever year. Mines a FI

Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,057 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Originally Posted by klbjoc
Troll?
Was my first thought ........................ blonds aren't that dizzy even in print .

Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 AM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain

Christ ANYONE who asks an innocent question in here anymore is a Troll! Jeezus give some of these people a break-I'd like to see all you first time HD owners first questions in here..THAT would be some good reading..To the posteron't let them bother you-its how things work in here..A few are very helpful and most are wiseazz d*cks. It's how it works,don't be offended or get defensive. I did at first BUT the real people will do anything to help...and the d*cks? Well they'll continue to be as such.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Ed Vanharley
Road Captain

Naw.I wouldn't take my advice about the dawn soap, I did this as a kid with a *** dune buggy and it didnt turn out so well

Old 07-14-2011, 12:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,057 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Maybe if the guy asks a question that makes even the slightest sense we wouldn't be so skeptical in our responses ? Diesel oil ? WTF ? Could be homeboy has no business being around anything with sharp edges too much less a bike .

Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Maybe if the guy asks a question that makes even the slightest sense we wouldn't be so skeptical in our responses ? Diesel oil ? WTF ? Could be homeboy has no business being around anything with sharp edges too much less a bike .
I agree his questions and "clarifications" didn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't know much about diesels, but do they take 20W50 oil in the crankcase? That might have been where he got confused... grabbing the first 20W50 oil he saw on the shelf.

Quick Reply: Engine making noise