General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gee aint it funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 04:11 PM
bastardmaker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gee aint it funny

My wife does not like the biker Image so to speak. she was born with a silve spoon up her butt. and thinks bikers are dirty and one deminsional. She thinks biker atire is dumb. However, whenever we go to the dealerships for parts or whatever, she head directly over to the clothing area or the memorbilia area. She begins exclaiming how cute this is or that is, My daughter has more harley shirts and clothes than i do. She isnt even 2 yet. my wife has begun making me a harley quilt. She is awsome at quilting. But my point is she has done a 180 in her view of "bikers" and doesnt even know it. She has even actually began noticing the difference between bikes, and can sort them out a little. well i think shes come a long way in the last few months.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:32 PM
rgerber
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gee aint it funny

Hi Jason,

You bring up a fascinating topic, "Biker Image". Here's a link that really helps to put some insight into that term: http://motorcycles.about.com/library.../aa090301k.htm

For nearly 43 years, my bride refused to wear ANYTHING that said Harley Davison, and would not wear any black apparel. What difference 43 years make! <GRIN> While I couldn't really call her a "Biker Babe in Black", she has really mellowed over the years. To me, she looks like a "Classy Biker Honey". We're still in that minority from the old days that try to match while we're on the bike. It goes back to the club riding back in the 60's and 70's. Back then, we used to hear that there were "Harley People" and Harley Riders". No matter how you looked, to some people we were all outlaws and biker trash

Our passion, I mean all us here, inspires a wide range of dress and sometimes even behavior doesn't it? Let's see where this one goes, and by the way,

Love to SheWolf from Dick and Nancy!

[IMG]local://upfiles/718/BA4E8E7B2BF94D3880403E83BA6C508A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-09-2005, 05:13 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I think that I have a little idea of what you are talking about. When I bought my bike, the wife didn't act too thrilled about me getting it. I wanted it long before I met her, so I wasn't too concerned about it. Over the lastcouple of months since I have bought it, she has started to show more interest in when I am going riding and if I enjoyed my trip. I think that she has finally gotten over the idea that my Harley is here to stay and it won't be going away. She's even taken some pics of it to send to our son in Afganistan. She has even started to ask me when I plan on adding thing to my bike, I think that she is starting to come around a little.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:17 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife, turned biker chick, was not interested in motorcycles when I bought one, about a year later she got her licence and was out cruising on my bike!

Old 07-09-2005, 06:09 PM
shewolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interestingly enough, my dad rode a Harley in the early 50's. Never, once he was married and had kids, of course Korea and severe wounds also intervened. I have always loved the biker look myself, but wouldn't wear it as I wasn't a biker back then.

Funny how the paths of our lives twist and turn isn't it? I have more Harley shirts than regular ones. I am designing a quilt out of Gary's Harley shirts I can stand to cut up for our bed. My daughters and step son all wear the Harley attire proudly.

Dick and Nancy, thanks for all your support and warmth! Also to all you others, hugs all!

Kate

Old 07-09-2005, 10:18 PM
snakeinsc
Intermediate

same thing here, didn't want a t-shirt or anything much to do with it. after having the scoot 2 weeks and going for a few good rides, i bought her one of the nicer t-shirts. lo and behold, she fell in love with it and wore the shirt daily, washing it every night until i broke down and bought her 3 more shirts! ,,,,,,,still can't get her into the tight jeans and halter top thing, though.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Snake, give her a couple of more weeks for the halter top.

John TN

Old 07-10-2005, 01:48 AM
snakeinsc
Intermediate

when i do, i'll figure out how to post the pics

Old 07-10-2005, 03:21 AM
kel1200
Cruiser

exact same thing here. didnt think too much of it, now she gets at least one shirt when we go to HD

Old 07-10-2005, 03:42 AM
Lurch42
Novice

I dont really subscribe to the biker image thing, although I consider myself a biker, I think. I started on metrics a long time ago and progressed to harley rigids and finally this softail I put up. Ive never had the money to go buy something off the dealer floor...(someday maybe)....but I get more enjoyment out of doing it myslef I guess. If I can get a harley tshirt on sale and it fits, heck yeah I will buy it. Ive got the leather chaps, jacket, gloves, black boots, gloves etc., but I dont wear them to project any cetain image, only to be comfortable it any given enviroment. If its hot here, I wear shorts and a tank top and sneakers, depending on how far Im going of course. If its cold, then Im in the leather. Ive got some tats, but again, they are not to project some image, they are something I wanted to mean something to me at a certain time.

I ride a Harley cause I want to....Ive ridden everything else and never felt like i wasnt a biker, but there is something about a Harley as we all know. I wave at all bikers regardless of what they are on

In general, its like popye the sailor man said......I yam what I yam

Quick Reply: Gee aint it funny