General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, tips for turning right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New rider, tips for turning right?

Sounds like a stupid question, but i know there are answers out there. For example i learned on the womens forum to "look where you want to go, not down to the ground" which actually helped on turning.

But im in a parking lot tonight doing tight circles. Left circles are a breeze! tight as a vajayjay and smooth as butter.

But right circles are a different story. Im shaky, not confident, way too wide, etc.

So im nervous because i want to take my road test on my FLSTCI and i can only imagine showing up and he says "now make 9 circles to the right" and ill freak out hehe

Im exaggerating, but seriously .. any tips on right turns? I understand from a few friends it is quite a common problem. Wondering if there are any minor solutions.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are a few things I share with the riders in my Ride Like A Pro West Coast class.

1. Stay relaxed. Your upper body can't turn the handlebars and lean the bike in for a tighter turn if it is tense and has that death grip on the bars.
2. Adjust your throttle hand. The traditional "wrist down knuckles up" position on the grip is fine for going straight but is difficult with the bars turned to the right and your throttle hand tucked into your gut. Rotate your hand slightly under the throttle for better control.
3. Exaggerate the head turn almost putting your chin on your shoulder and making sure your eyes are looking where you want to go.
4. Keep your right foot on the brake for that slow speed control. Don't be tempted to put your right foot down as that gives up the rear brake and with it control.
5. Commit your eyes. Make an effort to LOOK with deliberation at a spot on the road where you want to ride to.
6. Keep your speed up. I don't mean throttle cracking speed, but maintain enough momentum to get the bike leaned over and turned tighter.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you notice a common issue with turning right? The only few people i know who ride, say they often hear of riders having issues with rights

thanks

Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Not a stupid question. I also used to favor a left turn. It must have something to do with your dominate eye. Anyways, this what I did.

Think about what you do to turn left and then apply those principals to a right turn. Make your brain do it. You will look to the right, head turning to the right. The basics of counter-steering will always be in play. Bump your right grip slightly to get your front wheel to go right. Stay OFF your front brakes.

Practice bigger turns and work your way down to the smaller ones.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:01 AM
kaynine840
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look through the turn at where you want to be going instead of the line in the middle of the road that you are trying to stay to the right of. your body will automatically keep you going in the right direction. if you stare at the other lane, chances are you will end up in the other lane. sounds stupid, but its true.
oh, and take a class

Old 07-10-2011, 12:06 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the Ride Like a Pro CD and if you can...take the class too. It will work miracles in your slow-paced riding.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
... The basics of counter-steering will always be in play. Bump your right grip slightly to get your front wheel to go right.
Counter-Steering is NOT always in play. You have to be going in the neighborhood of 25-30 mph before the dynamics of counter steering begin to apply. For tight, controlled circles that the OP refers to he is probably only doing between 5 and 10mph.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:05 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am better at tight lefts than tight rights. Here is what works for me: On right turns, slide your but to the left side of the seat. It might not be textbook perfect, but it was a good enuff fix (for me), to get me thru the Police M/C Cert School

Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 AM
beaner
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youre smart enough to practice in a parking lot, thats great. As a MSF rider coach you would be suprised at how many show up on their own bikes and flat cant ride. You are not alone as every rider turn better in one direction than another in low speed turns (most never practice to even realize).

Your bike will turn right so its just technique for you. Build up your speed through turns but know speed = stability and stability = not putting your foot down/tightening up your turns. Like CSI said shift your body weight to the outside. Do this by shifting over in the seat and put more weight on the outside peg and turn (counter-weighting).

Strongly recommend you jump into a riders edge or MSF basic riders course to build condfidence and become a better rider.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds like the Riders Edge course would good for you.

Quick Reply: New rider, tips for turning right?