General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, tips for turning right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:10 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three things worked for me...

practice, practice, practice.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:45 PM
VTK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have the wrong bike for you. Seems you have the left handed FLSTC when you should have the right handed model.

j/k of course...but with others I would suggest taking a course and I would take it on your bike. I would also not take the test on a smaller bike. You'll be riding the Heritage on the road and it would be nice to know that you handled the test on what you're riding.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 PM
foxtrot
Cruiser

The MSC is great, it wont cure your problem bt it will help. Practice thats what it takes. As someone said start with bigger circles and work them down. I started with 3 parking spaces, now I can do figure 8s the the DMV box for small bikes on my 1200C.
Some days will be better than others. I go down to DMV on the weekends and play in their test area, its all painted on the pavement. To me its fun doing the tight turns.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:27 PM
F34R
Tourer

Originally Posted by nine11c2
They make you ride on a sidewalk sized patch at slow speed, and make a left onto another sidewalk in the NJ test without any part of the bike touching outside the lines. It's a test that a big Harley doesn't fit in even if done perfectly. Its almost impossible to fit the bike thru the test walking it..
I disagree. The SC m/c test is the same as nj's, and it's plenty of room if you know how to ride. I'm an extreme novice and it was a piece of cake on my Fatboy Lo. Talk about bigger bikes, just watching some of the skills competitions with bikes, it's entirely possible. I also agree with being able to take the test, and pass it, with the bike you ride; instead of using a smaller bike to pass.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Along with the weight shift; practice & other good advice here...it goes without saying, that keeping your head and eyes up and looking where you want to go is uber-important. Even a little peek forward or down can/will change your path of travel and if it's in your mind you're "bad" at right turns...you're more likely to sneak a peak.

I'll throw in a theory I have as to why people have trouble turning right. Because your throttle hand/arm is so close to your body and your clutch hand/arm is extended out all the way (or close to it)...some people have a harder time controlling their speed because the tendency is to let the clutch out all the way due to their arm being extended - particularly in full lock turns. This can cause the speed to be uncomfortably fast for some riders. (then they "panic" and over-correct). As far as the throttle, it's definitely more of a challenge to keep it steady when your elbow is jammed up next to your stomach versus most any other position.

Conversely, some people really struggle with slow, tight left turns because they'll pull the clutch in all the way when pulling the bars full lock left...so they'll stall or have to put their foot down due to lack of speed. The key to smooth turns at low speed is mastering the friction zone and a big head turn.

I suggest getting out to a parking lot for some practice and really concentrate on what your hands are doing when you're turning. Really work on keeping your speed consistent and smooth...use your rear brake to help if you need to (don't use your front brake, but I'm sure you know that!). Practice until you feel like you have mastered keeping your speed consistent during turns and see if that helps.

You should be fine on your bike...just go to a parking lot and make yourself do tons of right turns/circles to get your confidence up. Having a buddy to watch helps. You might think you're doing a big head turn, but it's possible you're not.

This may or may not even make sense and it may or may not be what's going on with you, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:22 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have said, practice, practice, practice. It takes time to develop the new skills and practice is the only way to get better. I go to a parking lot almost every time I go for a ride. It's my favorite part of the ride. The Ride Like a Pro DVDs will walk you through good skill development drills.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Disagree..

Originally Posted by F34R
I disagree. The SC m/c test is the same as nj's, and it's plenty of room if you know how to ride. I'm an extreme novice and it was a piece of cake on my Fatboy Lo. Talk about bigger bikes, just watching some of the skills competitions with bikes, it's entirely possible. I also agree with being able to take the test, and pass it, with the bike you ride; instead of using a smaller bike to pass.
You can disagree but you are still wrong. Here is the sc test http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/DL-350.pdf. The dual lefts and rights are 3 1/2 feet wide. You cant touch the cone or paint. An ultra wheelbase is 63.5 inches. Its virtually impossible to turn 63.5 inches of wheelbase into 40 inches of space. Twice. In a row. Without stopping. Then back. Then twice, the other way. I was reading about a guy who couldnt do it on a Honda 600.

Im very big on safety and would like the test to be taken on the class of cycle you ride, but these tests make it virtually impossible.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:06 PM
F34R
Tourer

You can disagree but you are still wrong. Here is the sc test http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/DL-350.pdf. The dual lefts and rights are 3 1/2 feet wide. You cant touch the cone or paint. An ultra wheelbase is 63.5 inches. Its virtually impossible to turn 63.5 inches of wheelbase into 40 inches of space. Twice. In a row. Without stopping. Then back. Then twice, the other way. I was reading about a guy who couldnt do it on a Honda 600.

Im very big on safety and would like the test to be taken on the class of cycle you ride, but these tests make it virtually impossible.
Here ya go:
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/mcm996.pdf
page 6 shows your test. Same test...

If this is wrong, can you post an accurate link to the test you're talking about.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Betcha I can do it on my Ultra

Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

1. Stop thinking about it. You are WAYYYYYYYY over thinking the subject.

2. Go for a 2 hour ride and only make right turns.

3. Look where you are going

4. See #1

Quick Reply: New rider, tips for turning right?