General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, tips for turning right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:55 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I've been riding for years yet avoid tight right circles at all costs. Even in twisties, my lefts feel more natural than right leans.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tight circles are easier for me if I move my butt to the outside of the seat. Like stated above you need to take a good course and just continue practicing. There are a lot of people that can't ride ---riding. Sounds like you might not want to be one of them.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Shift your weight to the left peg/floorboard (to counter balance the weight of the bike), look over you right shoulder and point your right elbow out (away from your body). Use rear bake and clutch to control your speed.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:42 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
So im nervous because i want to take my road test on my FLSTCI and i can only imagine showing up and he says "now make 9 circles to the right" and ill freak out hehe

Im exaggerating, but seriously .. any tips on right turns? I understand from a few friends it is quite a common problem. Wondering if there are any minor solutions.
1. Don't take the road test on an FLSTCI - borrow something small. The road test is for passing, not for challenging yourself. If you want to see if you can do it, get your license, then try repeating the course on your bike or go take the MSF ERC on your bike later.

2. Don't take a road test - doesn't your state let you substitute MSF BRC for the road test? You'll get a lot more out of the MSF class and the instructors help you pass, not look for reasons to turn you down.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:49 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Off thread but is that dog in your avatar female, neutered, or gay. The only other thing I can think of is that he is waiting for permission. My old male lab would have already cold nosed the yellow bikini and we would have been laughing already.
Originally Posted by piasspj
Shift your weight to the left peg/floorboard (to counter balance the weight of the bike), look over you right shoulder and point your right elbow out (away from your body). Use rear bake and clutch to control your speed.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:05 AM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For whats its worth - I too am not as good, not as smooth on a right turn.
I have always wondered if its a right handed vs. left handed orientation a person has.

Anyway - I did figure 8s. Lots of figure 8s. 1-up, 2-up with the wife. Like most things, you get better with practice.

Pat

Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 AM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that if I lean back just before making the turn, then using my hips to lean into the turn, the bike will almost turn its self and will turn as tight as you want.
The tightness of the turn is determined by the amount of lean you do entering the turn

Just my 2 cents

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Advice

You've gotten my best advice already - keep a reasonable speed, stay calm, shift weight to the left.

But dont' ignore the obvious. I'm 6'1" and 225 and even I found a full size Harley too big to take the NJ test on. NO ONE does(depends on state test - virtually no one in NJ does). They RENT 100cc bikes to take the test. The MSF courses are the best way to get some tips (and assuming you didn't know look where you want to go you didn't take one) AND pass the license on someone elses little bitty bike.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rsarno
Left circles are a breeze! tight as a vajayjay and smooth as butter.
I like your analogy lol

I think you should be able to take and pass the test on the bike you ride. If you can't pass the test, you probably don't have the skills to reliably control the bike in some situations.

You're doing the best thing already. Keep on goofing around parking lots, neighborhoods until you feel comfortable with all turns, stops, and starts.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

They make you ride on a sidewalk sized patch at slow speed, and make a left onto another sidewalk in the NJ test without any part of the bike touching outside the lines. It's a test that a big Harley doesn't fit in even if done perfectly. Its almost impossible to fit the bike thru the test walking it..

Originally Posted by sm0kediver
I like your analogy lol

I think you should be able to take and pass the test on the bike you ride. If you can't pass the test, you probably don't have the skills to reliably control the bike in some situations.

You're doing the best thing already. Keep on goofing around parking lots, neighborhoods until you feel comfortable with all turns, stops, and starts.

Quick Reply: New rider, tips for turning right?