General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb HELP!...I think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011 | 09:32 PM
Firerash
|
Stage III
Default Carb HELP!...I think?

Hey all,

Ive been reading the forums on this site for a long time and Ive finally stepped-up and registered b/c Im in need of some serious help.

I have a 99 Dyna Conv. My issue is this: I recently rejetted my carb. I thought I did everything correct but when I started the bike, black smoke came out of the pipes and fuel was pouring out behind the a/c and the bike was EXTREMELY loud. What could be causing these problems? I shut the bike down, tuned the fuel off and cleaned up the spilled fuel. I tipped the bike upright tuned the fuel on and fuel immediately began pouring out of the same spot. Im stumped any all help would be greatly appreciated!

Ive never rejetted a carb before and was told it was easy...

Thanks in advance
Jason

Old 07-09-2011 | 10:20 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member

Heres a great site to get all that can be got out of your carb.

Harley Performance

Old 07-09-2011 | 10:31 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

are you sure you put the right jets in?-----I mean are you REALLY SURE? I am no carb expert but if i were you i would take them out and double check the size.I am assuming you just went up one step bigger correct?

Old 07-09-2011 | 10:33 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer

If fuel is just pouring out when you have the gas on, you probably knocked the float needle out of the seat, or bent the float while you had the bowl off. Double check your float height, and make sure the needle will sit in the seat.

Old 07-09-2011 | 10:40 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

SGT FURY is probably right.I was speed reading i guess and misunderstood.

Old 07-10-2011 | 12:25 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury
If fuel is just pouring out when you have the gas on, you probably knocked the float needle out of the seat, or bent the float while you had the bowl off. Double check your float height, and make sure the needle will sit in the seat.
Yeah, the float or needle is binding causing the fuel to keep flowing. You might want to just pick up a carb kit as it will include a new float, float gauge, needle and gaskets.

Old 07-10-2011 | 07:49 AM
Firerash
|
Stage III

Thanks all for the tips. Im going to attempt to adjust the float needle. Ive never done any work on a carb before and "thought" I put everything back correctly. Oh well, the only wat to learn something new is to get your hands dirty and be patient. Any tips on adjusting the float...mind you, that my bike "was" running good before I decided to rejet. The only reason I rejetted is b/c, I bought the bike used a couple of years ago and stage 1 upgrade was done except for rejetting.

Any other tips, tricks or ideas would be apprieciated

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2011 | 09:54 AM
O-Town D
Road Master

from FireRash: "...fuel was pouring out behind the a/c."

In addition to all the good advice already posted, you might want to check the fuel fitting on the side of the carb; the OEM plastic nipples are notorious for cracking over time and "pouring" fuel out and should be replaced with a brass equivalent. Setting the carb float level needs to be done with specific measurement or a guage usually included with a rebuiild kit. Good luck.
~

Old 07-10-2011 | 09:56 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Here are some pics from the service manual:

http://bike-talk.com/forum/tech-tips...arburetor.html

Old 07-10-2011 | 03:27 PM
Firerash
|
Stage III

O-Town D

Thanks for the tip. Im going to replace the nipple as you stated. I took apart the bottom of the carb and found the float was bound up. I moved it and it seemed to break free. Any reason as to why this happens?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped out this "newbie"

Quick Reply: Carb HELP!...I think?