General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb HELP!...I think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011 | 07:57 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firerash
Hey all,

Ive been reading the forums on this site for a long time and Ive finally stepped-up and registered b/c Im in need of some serious help.

I have a 99 Dyna Conv. My issue is this: I recently rejetted my carb. I thought I did everything correct but when I started the bike, black smoke came out of the pipes and fuel was pouring out behind the a/c and the bike was EXTREMELY loud. What could be causing these problems? I shut the bike down, tuned the fuel off and cleaned up the spilled fuel. I tipped the bike upright tuned the fuel on and fuel immediately began pouring out of the same spot. Im stumped any all help would be greatly appreciated!

Ive never rejetted a carb before and was told it was easy...

Thanks in advance
Jason

Kind of curious as to why the bike would be EXTREMELY loud after doing carb mods. Had you ever started the bike before doing the mods? Carb mods and exhaust loudness just doesn't go together. JMHO

Old 07-10-2011 | 08:46 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

when you start the bike is it revving really high like the throttle is stuck open? did you connect the throttle cable back correctly? wrong sizes on the jets would not cause fuel to just poor out of the carb.

what kit did you use? if you had to put washers on to raise the needle did you put them on correctly? i would start from scratch, pull it all apart and go step by step and see what you did wrong, probably a pretty simple fix.

Old 07-10-2011 | 09:02 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Before trying anything hard, I'd take the biggest screwdriver I had, and with the HANDLE end first rap the carb really hard two or three times. Very possible in a bike of this age to have a little piece of crap come loose and lodge the needle away from the seat. If this doesn't fix it drop the float bowl and check that the float and needle are working correctly. With a 2x4 under the side stand the float should work like an on/off switch. Best to do this outside away from any ignition sources.