Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Question for you in the know

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went ahead and ordered the LOWERS from Memphis Shades and I will aslo experiment with moving the shield a little lower ..although it seems to be JUST below eye level now as I read it should be . Right now there is a space between the top of the headlight and the bottom of the Shield ?..maybe moving the shield down those 2 inches will help.
I'll experiment this weekend and post results ..GLAD to know I'm not the only one
Thanks ALL and keep posting suggestions and solutions !!!

Old 07-08-2011, 05:09 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I dunno, I just don't understand all this grief that windshields cause people.

When I got home from the dealer the day I bought my Heritage, I knew the windshield was a tad to high. It was directly in my line of vision. I followed advice here on the forum and cut 1.5" off the shield the next day and it came out perfectly. Actually nicer than the factory.

I get no wind sheer, no blowing my head back, no deflection. No nothing. I mean, understanding you are riding a motorcycle. The wind is going to hit you somewhat...you know.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

It's not only the height of the windshield, but the angle you have it mounted at.

The Memphis Shades hardware is very adjustable. When I first mounted mine, I had it too vertical. Try using the four adjustment points and tilt the windshield back a little.

There is always going to be an updraft behind that type of windshield, but you should be able to minimize buffeting by playing with the adjustments.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,908 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Some things I've learned: I'm still experimenting but the Harley QD windshield was a disaster, I threw it out. I ordered a Windvest windshield, a 14" was supposed to work for my 5'10" height but I thought a 16" would be a better fit so I got the 16". It was better than the Harley one but still some buffeting so I got and installed Memphis Shades lowers and was quite happy. I then lowered my windshield all the way since it is adjustable and found that if I sat tall in the seat so a more direct, un-buffeted stream of wind hit my full face helmet, it smoothed things out even more. I'm now going to drill more adjusting holes in the windshield to lower it down to where the 14" would be and try that. What I'm getting at is in my case I need to see over the top of the shield by a few inches and not think that hiding my head behind the shield is going to solve the buffeting. I also have a Cee Baily Summer shield for the Windvest brackets that is 10" tall I just put on to play with. Bottom line is it's a motorcycle so it's going to be windy, you just don't want the buffeting so you can't see the street signs and get a headache.

Good Luck,
Mike

Old 07-08-2011, 06:22 PM
99superglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that the buffeting is rattling your head around. Try riding at highway speed and reach out with your hand in front of you to determine where most of your wind is coming from. I have a H-D 18" QD shield that I get alot of wind blast from underneath the shield at higher speeds. It does get harder to see clearly the faster you go.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by karaokeman
I went ahead and ordered the LOWERS from Memphis Shades and I will aslo experiment with moving the shield a little lower ..although it seems to be JUST below eye level now as I read it should be . Right now there is a space between the top of the headlight and the bottom of the Shield ?..maybe moving the shield down those 2 inches will help.
I'll experiment this weekend and post results ..GLAD to know I'm not the only one
Thanks ALL and keep posting suggestions and solutions !!!

Correct. You want to be looking just over the top edge of the windshield. The space above the headlight you mention, is also where some wind comes up from.

As for Windvest, been there done that and my worst experience for an overpriced, over rated product.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by joe.1955
It's not only the height of the windshield, but the angle you have it mounted at.

The Memphis Shades hardware is very adjustable. When I first mounted mine, I had it too vertical. Try using the four adjustment points and tilt the windshield back a little.

There is always going to be an updraft behind that type of windshield, but you should be able to minimize buffeting by playing with the adjustments.
Originally Posted by OldMike
Some things I've learned: I'm still experimenting but the Harley QD windshield was a disaster, I threw it out. I ordered a Windvest windshield, a 14" was supposed to work for my 5'10" height but I thought a 16" would be a better fit so I got the 16". It was better than the Harley one but still some buffeting so I got and installed Memphis Shades lowers and was quite happy. I then lowered my windshield all the way since it is adjustable and found that if I sat tall in the seat so a more direct, un-buffeted stream of wind hit my full face helmet, it smoothed things out even more. I'm now going to drill more adjusting holes in the windshield to lower it down to where the 14" would be and try that. What I'm getting at is in my case I need to see over the top of the shield by a few inches and not think that hiding my head behind the shield is going to solve the buffeting. I also have a Cee Baily Summer shield for the Windvest brackets that is 10" tall I just put on to play with. Bottom line is it's a motorcycle so it's going to be windy, you just don't want the buffeting so you can't see the street signs and get a headache.

Good Luck,
Mike
Originally Posted by 99superglide
I would say that the buffeting is rattling your head around. Try riding at highway speed and reach out with your hand in front of you to determine where most of your wind is coming from. I have a H-D 18" QD shield that I get alot of wind blast from underneath the shield at higher speeds. It does get harder to see clearly the faster you go.
Here is all the advice you should need.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just and update --1st ride this morning with the newly installed set of lowers from Memphis Shades. That along with some light adjustments to the angle and height again of the windshield has made all the difference. For those of you "thinking about " a winsdhield DO IT for the highway rides and don't get discouraged It takes awhile to get the correct height and angle and GET THE LOWERS RIGHT AWAY!!!
Thanks to ALL !!!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:19 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Lowers help a lot.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad the lowers helped. I added lowers to my HD QD windshield and they helped a lot. What helped more, though, was cutting it down ~1.75".

Buffetting is going to happen. Windshields create a partial vacuum, so you get one stream of faster-moving air moving over the top and around the sides of the windshield and a second stream of air coming up from below, around the tank and maybe your headlight. That second stream of air is diffused by the partial vacuum formed behind the windshield and becomes slower-moving air. So when you have the two streams of moving air colliding, buffetting will happen. It's not unlike what happens when an airplane experiences when flying through turbulence.

All you can do is control where the buffetting layer will happen. Most guys who ride with a full-face like it to happen lower (thus the smaller windshields on sport bikes), so that the wind pressure is still off the chest but their head is in clean, non-buffetting air.

Adding lowers will move the confluence of the two air streams further back, and the further back you can move it, the less drastic the buffetting will be (because of more diffusion). Lowering the angle of the windshield or height, if possible, will lower the buffetting zone. So you just tweak the two until you find your comfort zone.

BTW, fork bags also help control the airflow around your headlight.