Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis n 16in apes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
I lived in Wyoming for almost 20 years and attended the rally many times. For years, I was about 20", including my risers. I'm 6'1" and I was right at shoulder height when riding normal and a little bit below when I sat up straight (of which I would do in the presence of any LEOs). I never got pulled over.
Yeah, we've never had problems anywhere else in WY. It just seems like Newcastle may use rally week as a chance to boost their town coffers. Another guy in our group got a 39 in a 35 ticket there.

Crazy

Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I live 28 miles away from Sturgis. Never get a hassle except during bike week, then they are looking for it.

Downtown Sturgis is so cop infested, it's not even worth it. If you have to do the main drag, do it at night, so the heat isn't playing havoc on your drivetrain...in particular your stator, as they will fail under high heat.

When you ride the hills year round, you learn to hate it during bike week...alot of newbs out here which make riding alot more dangerous.

Easy way is to leave your handlebar clamp just loose enough to wear you can jerk them back if pulled over.

~Joe

Old 07-11-2011, 06:23 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's the 2010 Sturgis police blotter for 24 hrs starting Sat am

Sturgis Police Department’s Sturgis motorcycle rally report on Sunday counted 36 tickets, six people jailed and 14 locals charged for rally-related crimes.

From 6 a.m. Saturday to 6 a.m. Sunday, law enforcement issued the following non-traffic and traffic citations:
Open container in public, 1
Misdemeanor drug/paraphernalia possession, 4
Underage consumption/possession of alcohol, 1
Driving while intoxicated, 2
Open container in vehicle, 3
Illegal parking, 18
Drivers license violation, 1
Driving while suspended or revoked, 2
Handle bar height, 1

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/stur...cc4c03286.html

Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

We used to have a bike rally here every year and lots of bikers had to ride through a small town to get here. Business people loved it all kinds of new business for gas stations, general store, etc... Well the cops setup all kinds of speed trap's, and road blocks etc...were hassling all bikers no matter what they were riding or doing...

Several lawsuits and business people complaining it stopped but know the word got out and everyone totally avoided riding through there. I heard the other day there downtown looks like a ghost town and they laid off several cops and firefighters... Yep real smart.

I been riding apes since the 70's and been pulled over but not ticketed even in Ticketona other wise know as Daytona... These are my new apes....lol well new but old....

Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,643 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Talking about apes check out the picture in the post for ( Sylvania Silverstars ) I can't stop laughing.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Rabbit_
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cops have never given me and my apes a second look during bike week. But there does seem to a lot of hype about it.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:21 AM
lanceo70
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have 16's on my bike and I got a warning in Sturgis. Although I forgot my clear glasses at my campsite so they origanally pulled me over for no eye protection. I think they just wanted to give me a breathalizer test...good thing I behaved myself at the Throttle that night.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dake
How are the cops and anyone ride their with apes?
How are the cops in Sturgis? As in, will they give you a break?

They are looking for ANY reason to pull you over, and as mentioned above, probably to see what else they can come up with while they have you on the side of the road. And if you're downtown, do NOT park your bike in front of a yellow curb, even if only the kickstand if over the line. You've heard of zero tolerence? Sturgis parking enforcement during the rally is 0.000 tolerance.

I've also had 16" apes there, but if I recall correctly they're one of those "not above the shoulders" states, and I sit pretty tall. But you might want to have an allen wrench handy in case you have to pull them down a little.

Last edited by Sharknose; 07-12-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Moon-dog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Suppose to be something about blood flow through your arms, but I ain't no doc, so beats me.

I thought blood flow helped keep things up????? Oh.....arms....sorry

Old 07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
arrowslinger1980
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were pulled over every day we rode into sturgis. Warning every day. They really really wanted the DUI. No chance piggy!

I saw a sign on da bus "What are all these bikers doing at the cop convention" lol very true.

Im taking the bus everywhere into sturgis this year. Not worth the hastle.

Quick Reply: Sturgis n 16in apes