Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHORT!!!! help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Schaub85
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SHORT!!!! help!!!

I tried in the softail section and didnt get much.

I have a short that keeps popping the 10 amp "batttery" fuse within the fuse box. I have a manual but for some reason its at work. Does anyone know what all is on this circuit?

It seems to go to the fuse box and maybe head toward the front of the bike but without tearing everything apart its hard to tell. I do know that when the power is connected, that fuse socket is hot all the time. The speedo, odometer and electric start also dont work. Head light works, engine light works, the bike will run but wont start. I dont know if its related but the run side of my front signals seem to be blowing also, but not the actual turn part of the bulb(so the turn signals work but the running lights dont).

I was just out working on it, pulled the gas tank, unplugged every connector I could find.

Including: the 4 around the triple tree, the two under the dash panel, and one that goes to the rear lights.

I tested the circuit with each connecter undone. The circuit was continuously hot. Maybe its sposed to be, but I'm guessing not to the point where I cant get a fuse even close to the socket.

I really dont have the money to take it to the dealer but I've been down for almost 2 weeks, in the middle of the season. At this point its almost making me sick.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried unplugging everything going to the handlebars? You may have scuffed or pinched a wire when adding the apes.

I almost always start with any add ons before tearing into oe stuff.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Schaub85
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Have you tried unplugging everything going to the handlebars? You may have scuffed or pinched a wire when adding the apes.

I almost always start with any add ons before tearing into oe stuff.
yes, they were included when I unplugged everything.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Posting the same thread in multiple forums is not allowed. This thread is being locked