General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shovelhead oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shovelhead oil leak

I have a buddy that owns an old early 80s touring HD that has been pushing out base gaskets. The stealership and a local wrench have put several sets of base gaskets in it and it just keeps doing it. Hes really upset and cant get them to stand behind their work. He wants me to help him fix it and ive only worked on Evos and Twin Cams so im not too familiar with the Shovel. Im guessing its some sort of crank case pressure problem. Its either not venting correctly or maybe he has bad piston rings. I plan on checking the compression as soon as its in my shop. He can only make it 20 miles or so right now before it blows oil. Any body have any experience with this? Any ideas?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,066 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Shovel are simple animals if your doing evos you have no issues just need a couple of the weird wrenches or torque adapters for the headbolts & base nuts . Do a leak down test on her , fastest way to tell if you have rings or valve issues on one . If it's been apart several times already somebody would have noticed piston & ring problems by now even fresh meat from the school guys will catch it so I'd start looking over all the oil and breather lines for kinks or blockage maybe last resort would be the breather gear in the nose cone with junk in it . Some of the 80" shovels had an external oil return line on the cylinders , if this one had them and things weren't done right it will cause leaks .

Do not put paper gaskets back in , there are very good metal wafer gasket's for shovel's just like the later evos and twinkies , base & rocker box's both have been a continual pain for shovels and these will cure it

Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by slyder
I have a buddy that owns an old early 80s touring HD that has been pushing out base gaskets. The stealership and a local wrench have put several sets of base gaskets in it and it just keeps doing it. Hes really upset and cant get them to stand behind their work. He wants me to help him fix it and ive only worked on Evos and Twin Cams so im not too familiar with the Shovel. Im guessing its some sort of crank case pressure problem. Its either not venting correctly or maybe he has bad piston rings. I plan on checking the compression as soon as its in my shop. He can only make it 20 miles or so right now before it blows oil. Any body have any experience with this? Any ideas?
Is it stock or stroked? Excess case pressure should probably come out the path of least resistance i.e. the pushrod tubes.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 AM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its pretty much a stock motor as far as I know.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by slyder
Its pretty much a stock motor as far as I know.
Sometimes on a stroker you can build up the scraper plate too much. Not enough to grind but enough to keep pressure in. Unless it's been apart and the breather gear is out of time I'd look for a pinched vent or blocked drain.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,066 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Sometimes on a stroker you can build up the scraper plate too much. Not enough to grind but enough to keep pressure in. breather gear is out of time I'd look for a pinched vent or blocked drain.
Ran into some of those too have you ? A lot of the early S&S stroker kits didn't go in right by guys who had no clue and didn't ask . I hate following up on somebody elses build just for those reasons , you always have to take it completely down and start from square one .

Old 07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

copper coat

Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Ran into some of those too have you ? A lot of the early S&S stroker kits didn't go in right by guys who had no clue and didn't ask . I hate following up on somebody elses build just for those reasons , you always have to take it completely down and start from square one .
A lot of guess work and trial and error back in the day. I think I like that better than guys thinking it's an adventure to change their own oil.

Seems to me for a short while in the early 80s Shovels had a little drain tube from the cylinder base to the tappet blocks. I think I just tapped and epoxied a set screw in both ends on my '81. I wonder if this could be part of this problem?