General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

polishing chrome?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Denbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: polishing chrome?????

I just wash mine with soap and water dry off the water spots and when it is all dry I just put on a little wax(remaining wax that is on the rag) and it makes the chrome sparkle.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:57 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

Wash with Turtle wax Zipwax auto wash liquid in clean water. Dry with clean soft t-shirt. Shines like new. Oh wait, it is new.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:06 AM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: superglide06

ORIGINAL: cjwanner2000

i spray a foam non ammonia glass cleaner into a microfiber cloth, wipe the chrome down then wipe clean with a dry microfiber cloth. works great. chrome looks as good as new.
cj2000 good lookin ride there
thanks, yours is lookin' pretty good too

Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 AM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hiram

Vegas - I had heard ( from a reliable source) that chrome polish wasn't good for bikes due to the fact that they don't get weathered as much as cars. This allowed a chemical reaction to take place that wouldn't normally happen with a more weathered surface. I always thought that this may be BS but wasn't willing to take the chance on screwing up my chrome. I take it from your post you've been using chrome polish for a while?

I am not sure. I have been using chrome polish on my bikes for YEARS. The oone I use now is the stuff that comes in the HD tube. it seems to be the best I have found.

I have to say that I dont see how you could rub through the chrome. I am willing to bet thats a myth with todays polishes. It is not that abrassive.

My buddy polishes is Rig that has chrome EVERYTHING at least once a week. he has NEVER had a problem with rubing through the chrome.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Gadget
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I've ever used on my chrome is NeverDull...works great for me - never had any problems with scratches...

Old 11-08-2006, 04:56 AM
panamoncreel
Tourer

ORIGINAL: aframe2

ORIGINAL: so165

is never dull ok to use on chrome or will it scratch it?
I used never dull on my chrome fishtails and it scratched it up pretty good. I had some tar on the chrome I was trying to get off, so I rubbed it hard and it put deep scratches in the chrome.
Ditto. It works great on chrome for light use. If you put elbow grease into taking anything off it will leave swirls. Found out the hard way.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:36 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

[quote]

I have to say that I dont see how you could rub through the chrome. I am willing to bet thats a myth with todays polishes. It is not that abrassive.

I rubbed thru the chrome on my bikes primary cover when it was 3 days old. I got a black boot mark on the cover. I used some Mother's to rub it off. The chrome came off and you could see a copper spot about the size of a dime. My dealer replaced it with no questions asked.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:56 PM
vegashd
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

I rubbed thru the chrome on my bikes primary cover when it was 3 days old. I got a black boot mark on the cover. I used some Mother's to rub it off. The chrome came off and you could see a copper spot about the size of a dime. My dealer replaced it with no questions asked.

Thats wierd I talked to my friend who shows is Semi and he uses an ORBITAL buffer on his chrome every week to get it to shine nice. Never had a problem. I bt his stacls get buffed almost a hundred times a year with an orbital buffer not to mention every other part of his semi that has chrome.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 PM
4x4Given
Tourer

We have pretty hard water and it will spot badly. I discovered that Windex, Honda Polish, carnuba wax etc would not remove the spots. this is most easily seen on chrome and especially on the mirrors. BUT... I found that a 50% water and 50% white vinegar (which is quite ineqnesive) in a spray bottle will instantly remove al spotts and streaks, leaving a streak free, clean and shiny surface. [8D]

Vinegar is an awsome cleaner that is frequently overlooked.

And no, it won't make your bike stink.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:26 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

"SIMICHROME", nothing beats it.

Regards.

Quick Reply: polishing chrome?????