General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cables and Wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:37 PM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cables and Wires

I had this posted in the Sportster section, but only one reply so I though I would repost here:

I have an idea of a 'winter project' and want to get some feedback from those that have done this already, tips, tricks, etc.

I ride a '06 1200C. I want to run the wiring inside my handlebars for a cleaner look. I like the feel of the stock bars, but I would like to swap them out with something similar, bars with a better chrome finish preferrably. The stock bars just don't seem to have a bright chrome finish to them.

1. Are there disconnects for the wiring or do I just cut and splice in the riser area?
2. What make/style of bars would be similar to the stock sportster bars?

I would like to also install braided cables (brake lines, throttle, clutch), tips and tricks regarding this? Those that have exchanged cables, did you use HD parts or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for input on this project.

Ride Safe!

Old 11-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cables and Wires

Firstly, you're bars aren't chrome they are stainless. chrome ones will look real nice.
Secondly, the wires should have plugs, the plugs can be disassembled so the wires can be fed throught bars.
There is a picture and narrative on the DIY section showing how to change the bars on an Ultra. It's not the same, but, it'll give you some ideas.