General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Fieldsheer hi-vis High Flow II Mesh Jacket. Picked them two years ago. Wont ride in the summer without it now, even in South Louisiana! Keeps the sun off the skin, and when moving feels great. I also bought a cool vest from Fieldsheer and mesh pants earlier this year but blew my knee out and cant ride for another three months so I'll have to try it next year.

Best part was I got it for 60.00 on clearance from Motorcycle Superstore:
Fieldsheer High Flow II Mesh Jacket

Ultra-breathable Polytitanium Mesh® outer shell
Anatomically fitted for the riding position
Removable CE approved armor equipped in the shoulders, elbows and comfort pad in back
600 denier Carbolex® and SP Memory Foam® in high impact areas for addition protection
Reflective Phoslite® for high visibility
Velcro adjustable micro fiber collar with padding
Unique 4-step adjustable upper and lower sleeve volume control to secure armor in place
Velcro adjustable waist strap
Zipped wrist cuff enclosure
Pockets included: 2 zipped front hand warmer, 1 inside Velcro, 1 cell phone
8” zipper for connection to FS pants plus universal belt snap
Rain blocker water resistant zip out liner included with jacket

Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pargenz
No doubt what contributed to that rider's heat exhaustion was dehydration, probably because he wasn't taking in enough water.

It gets plenty hot here - 80 would be considered cool.
I'll do short rides (100 miles or so) without sleeves, but on an all day ride this time of year I'll wear a mesh jacket over a cool vest... and be much more comfortable than if I had on just a t-shirt.

+1 on the water, I carry a couple of bottles with me during hot weather.

Doesn't have to be ice cold to serve it's purpose.

But a t and a good sunblock is all I'm wearing on the upper body.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,797 Likes on 534 Posts

After leaving from Tennessee on June 16th heading to Killeen TX to see the kids on Fathers Day in 105 degrees, I didn't leave TX till I bought me one. I covered 713 miles that day with the sun beating the s**t out of me. I even got a slight touch of sun poisoning on my arms even with plenty of good sunscreen. Best thing I've bought in awhile. I won't even ride local without it anymore. I'm done with the sun beating down on me. I'm glad I decided to try a camelbak also. I drank one gallon of Powerade rolling down the interstate.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:32 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pargenz
I wear a Tourmaster Intake over a Bilt cool vest. A cool vest works much better than a wet cotton shirt in locales with lower humidity.
I have the same jacket in hi-vis green. Even here in central Florida it's usually pretty comfy. As long as you're moving that is. A wet t-shirt wil par-boil you when stopped for a light.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
NHNightster
Cruiser

Another joe rocket phoenix here.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

Last summer I ran a First Gear MEshtex. THis year I'm trying a HD Switchback jacket. So far, in my comparison, teh switchback does not vent as well as the Meshtex, nor is the mesh material on teh HD as firm/dernier rateing. However, I do like the flexibility of having one jacket with a zip off layer rather than having to pack a second jacket when teh temps fluctuate around here.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 AM
J.L.
Advanced

(I have a switchback jacket, works good and am mostly satisfied. Can't help but feel a lighter color such as desert tan wouldn't be better in the noon day sun.

J.L.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM
bpete
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rockymtnglide
With temperatures pushing 100 degrees lately I'm thinking about a mesh jacket. Anybody using anything they like and would recommend?
hey Rockymtnglide, you've received a lot of good suggestions here. I went with the Rev'It! Tornado jacket. I purchased the jacket from RevZilla and I will put a plug in for them, their customer service is excellent! The Tornado is a bit sporty for my taste, but it's extremely versatile. It flows air well and I like being able to start out in the cool morning with the liner in and then remove the liner later as the day warms up. I haven't worn it in the rain yet so I can't speak to its claim to being water proof.

Good luck to you on your search.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I got the Tourmaster Air Intake 2 last year and it will be hot when stopped in the sunshine but so is a T-shirt

I do feel like I have some protection riding on the interstate to/from work which is the same reason I wear a helmet even at 100 degrees

Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I have the HD Switchback also. Wore it yesterday in 90 degrees and it was fine. Cooler than just a t-shirt since you don't have the sun beating down on your arms. Flows plenty of air and has armor. looks good too. Got mine on e-bay new from a dealer for $149. If it gets cool you can just zip the panel back on which covers all the mesh.

Quick Reply: Mesh Jacket