General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gives / WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:19 PM
crazycanuck204
|
Novice
Default What gives / WTF

Question for people.

Over the weekend, I saw a number of riders out and about on the highways and was blown away by the number of people wearing shorts, running shoes, flip flops and t-Shirts on the highway / roads, etc. This was mostly on cruisers / tourings and a fair amount of HD bikes to boot.

Am I missing something or just not with it????

Highway riding is leathers (chaps and jacket) with the possibility of my mesh armour and boots - regardless of temps.

City riding. I will go down to a t-shirt for short rides but otherwise - jeans, boots and mesh.

Help me understand..

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:25 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Its a personal choice, some like it, some don't, some think its cool, others foolish. I ride with gear because I know the consequences of not. Just my opinion though.

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:40 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by crazycanuck204
Question for people.

Over the weekend, I saw a number of riders out and about on the highways and was blown away by the number of people wearing shorts, running shoes, flip flops and t-Shirts on the highway / roads, etc. This was mostly on cruisers / tourings and a fair amount of HD bikes to boot.

Am I missing something or just not with it????

Highway riding is leathers (chaps and jacket) with the possibility of my mesh armour and boots - regardless of temps.

City riding. I will go down to a t-shirt for short rides but otherwise - jeans, boots and mesh.

Help me understand..
You obviously haven't ridden in 100*+ temps. Now I won't ride in shorts and flipflops, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna wear leather when it's this hot.

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:43 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

High speed crashes with shorts will likely have the same result as jeans and a jacket as most wear.

I think you've got your riding habits slightly backwards.

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:45 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Just my opinion but....You should probably just ride your ride and others can ride theirs. You taking issues with what someone else is wearing when they ride is not different than you trying to make me wear a helmet when I take a shower in case I slip and fall.

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:46 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Yeah, I lose a lot of normal heavy riding gear when it gets hot here in Missouri, and it does know how to get hot here.

But, you will never see me in shorts or flip-flops.

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:51 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

I never wear shorts. Always boots and jeans. I can tell you first hand that jeans dont to a damn thing unless you are going about 20mph. I mostly wear them to keep from getting burned by the exhaust just in case I am careless. I also was told at the age of 6 that I couldnt ride my dirt bike without jeans and boots.....It stuck with me.

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:53 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior

Tell you what. I rode this weekend in a white T-Shirt with Lucky Strikes rolled up in the sleeves. A pair of fitting jeans, Harley Davidson boots, and full leather gloves. Also wore a half-helmet and goggles. I rode 500 miles. It was 99 degrees, but on the highway it was 105 at least on the pavement.
I hit two rain showers. Big ones. I stopped under an over pass to put on the white baby cloth over my face as a bandana to protect me from rain drops. Then I took off at 70 mph through the rain. It was fine because I had my homemade windshield from 3/16" lexan, 1/2 copper pipe and 1" Gardner clamps on my $15,000 motorcycle.

Hopefully it gets back to the mind your own damn business in the United States. Stop trying to make us Canada. Two things I have learned about being around motorcycle folks.
1) don't talk about another riders bike.
2) don't talk about their old lady.
Neither are anyones business by the man they belong to, and I think I am going to add a third to that list. If I have to look at another man so hard that I critic what he is wearing. Then I need to go to have my head examined because I am not thinking straight. Get it.

Here is a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotLJ...&feature=feedu

Old 07-04-2011 | 10:57 PM
Ventana
Cruiser

It's the same reason some people still refuse to wear seat belts in cages.

Old 07-04-2011 | 11:01 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by editbrain
Tell you what. I rode this weekend in a white T-Shirt with Lucky Strikes rolled up in the sleeves. A pair of fitting jeans, Harley Davidson boots, and full leather gloves. Also wore a half-helmet and goggles. I rode 500 miles. It was 99 degrees, but on the highway it was 105 at least on the pavement.
I hit two rain showers. Big ones. I stopped under an over pass to put on the white baby cloth over my face as a bandana to protect me from rain drops. Then I took off at 70 mph through the rain. It was fine because I had my homemade windshield from 3/16" lexan, 1/2 copper pipe and 1" Gardner clamps on my $15,000 motorcycle.

Hopefully it gets back to the mind your own damn business in the United States. Stop trying to make us Canada. Two things I have learned about being around motorcycle folks.
1) don't talk about another riders bike.
2) don't talk about their old lady.
Neither are anyones business by the man they belong to, and I think I am going to add a third to that list. If I have to look at another man so hard that I critic what he is wearing. Then I need to go to have my head examined because I am not thinking straight. Get it.

Here is a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotLJ...&feature=feedu

What's with the Dis on Canada?

Quick Reply: What gives / WTF