General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gives / WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011 | 12:02 PM
chopped7
Road Master

Originally Posted by crazycanuck204
Question for people.

Over the weekend, I saw a number of riders out and about on the highways and was blown away by the number of people wearing shorts, running shoes, flip flops and t-Shirts on the highway / roads, etc. This was mostly on cruisers / tourings and a fair amount of HD bikes to boot.

Am I missing something or just not with it????

Highway riding is leathers (chaps and jacket) with the possibility of my mesh armour and boots - regardless of temps.

City riding. I will go down to a t-shirt for short rides but otherwise - jeans, boots and mesh.

Help me understand..
i'll try to make an analogy. if you are all about atgatt, you should be using a dental dam when you go down on a woman and a condom for bj's and sexual contact. i don't give a sh*t if you do or don't but there is definitely a risk involved with sex. you can get aids, herpes, ghonnorea, etc (yes, even from your wife) if you don't take the precautions. a little road rash doesn't sound so bad compared to that. that's just me though. i ride in flip flops.

Old 07-06-2011 | 01:01 PM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer

shorts flip flops and t shirts are standard riding gear in SoCal. no one wants to stop to get a cold brew at the local watering hole down by the beach and not look like you just got out the water.

Old 07-06-2011 | 05:45 PM
delane
Tourer

I wrecked at a low speed about two years ago. I was wearing a helmet, jeans, jacket, gloves and Harley Davidson boots. Even with the boots on, I dislocated and crushed almost all the bones in my left foot. The injury required two surgeries and I did not walk for three months. I was wearing the proper gear and still got hurt. You just don't know what is going to happen in an accident. I have the patch that says "If you don't limp, you ain't ****" because I limp and always will!

Old 07-06-2011 | 05:58 PM
screamin softail
Road Master

As a minimum I wear boots, jeans, and t-shirt. Everyone who rides knows or should know the risks. I'm not about to tell someone else what to wear while riding. It's about choice and the way we are going in this country we are having fewer and fewer choices. Don't worry about who wears what. Enjoy YOUR ride.

Old 07-06-2011 | 07:17 PM
Good Time Gang
Tourer

I would rather ride and be comfortable than to be sweating and miserable to the point of distraction...

Old 07-06-2011 | 08:17 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
There should be clear labels on the vehicles saying "This vehicle is designed to maim and possibly kill you in the event of even the slightest crash. To avoid permanent dismemberment, disability or death, drive with extreme caution!"
Have you read a Harley service manual lately? A variation of your statement is on almost any part you buy. lol

Old 07-07-2011 | 12:00 AM
freewill
Intermediate

I'm with OP on this one. If it's too hot for the gears, it's too hot to ride, IMO.

High speed crashes with shorts will likely have the same result as jeans and a jacket as most wear.

I think you've got your riding habits slightly backwards.
No, that's not right. Way back when I was a teenager and still thought I was bullet-proof, I broadsided a cage at 75mph and took a tumble down the highway. I was wearing a full-face, leather jacket, gloves and boots, and denim jeans. My legs got pretty messed up - everything else was fine. The vast majority of spills are not high-speed, though. Mostly you gotta lay your machine down for a "You're on a bike - get outta my way or die - I'll say I didn't see you" cage driver. If you don't got your leathers then, you'll wish you'd worn them every time.

Hopefully it gets back to the mind your own damn business
That's a good point. A couple of things, though:
One: we are a community, and bad riding gives us all a bad rep. Bad habits are the business of everyone who has to pay accident compensation levies and road tax.
Two: It's natural to be concerned about others - especially when they are similar to you. No-one wants to see or hear about their HD brothers and sisters getting hurt on the highway. It makes my ride less fun.

"Live to ride. Ride to live."

That's what the slogan says. Death isn't the worst of it, though. I prefer

"Ride to keep riding."

Old 07-07-2011 | 12:21 AM
babyray
Tourer

Originally Posted by editbrain
Tell you what. I rode this weekend in a white T-Shirt with Lucky Strikes rolled up in the sleeves. A pair of fitting jeans, Harley Davidson boots, and full leather gloves. Also wore a half-helmet and goggles. I rode 500 miles. It was 99 degrees, but on the highway it was 105 at least on the pavement.
I hit two rain showers. Big ones. I stopped under an over pass to put on the white baby cloth over my face as a bandana to protect me from rain drops. Then I took off at 70 mph through the rain. It was fine because I had my homemade windshield from 3/16" lexan, 1/2 copper pipe and 1" Gardner clamps on my $15,000 motorcycle.

Hopefully it gets back to the mind your own damn business in the United States. Stop trying to make us Canada. Two things I have learned about being around motorcycle folks.
1) don't talk about another riders bike.
2) don't talk about their old lady.
Neither are anyones business by the man they belong to, and I think I am going to add a third to that list. If I have to look at another man so hard that I critic what he is wearing. Then I need to go to have my head examined because I am not thinking straight. Get it.

Here is a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotLJ...&feature=feedu
Whats a "white baby cloth"?, is that like a diaper.

Old 07-07-2011 | 12:28 AM
babyray
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
I ride in shorts most everyday... around town, during the summer.

Once in a blue moon I go for a ride in flip flops. like just up the corner store.

My wife hates it when I ride in my slippers.

I for one am thankful that I have the liberty to ride in shorts and flip flops when I want.

On the road... well that is a bit different of course 8-10 hours in the saddle and one needs protection from the sun, bugs and that constant wind rushing by. Jeans and a long sleeve tee shirt is the order of the day for me. Chaps when it is cool enough.

I wear a helmet, its the law... So I cheat a bit and use a novelty helmet to protect my bald head from the sun. Even if it wasn't the law I'd still wear something on top to stop the sun from boiling my brain.

Now if you want to ride in full leather all the time... that is fine by me... Come on down to Redding and ride it that stuff... If you need the leathers to ride in you won't be riding much here in the summer.

A short story... heavily redacted... Wife's a nurse... patient a leather wearing rider... summer riding with helmet... suffers hyperthermia (heat stoke)... crashes... broken bones and broken bike...
My girlfriend got a 100.00 ticket in Reno three years ago for wearing flip flops on the back of my E-Glide, not sure about calif. maybe not, I see all kinds of people in San Luis wearing sandals on scooters.

Old 07-07-2011 | 12:41 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member

106* here today. Ten day forecast says coolest day will be 102*. You damn sure ain't gonna see me in anything leather for a while. It'd be a rare sight if you saw me in a T-shirt that had sleeves on it at all in these temps. But I will be in jeans and boots. Had to help a buddy get a couple of bikes back to his place the other day. Had on shorts and tennis shoes. Just felt plain wierd.

Quick Reply: What gives / WTF